Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Folders

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Larry0 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:19 am

I would like to request that Fund Manager would remember the last used folder for portfolios and the last used folder for investments, instead of always defaulting to the last used folder, period.

I track numerous investments in different portfolios. The number of files is unmanageable without using separate folders. For example, I keep the portfolio (.mm4) files in a folder by themselves. Unless the last thing I opened was another portfolio, the File Open Portfolio dialog always defaults to the wrong folder.

Thank you.
Larry0

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:32 am

Hi Larry0,

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you track more investments than you can have in a single portfolio file (*.mm4)? If not, have you considered using sub-portfolios?

Sub-portfolios offer several advantages over separate portfolio files. For one, all your data is always available/open. You can also update prices for all your investments at once, instead of having to open each portfolio file and doing an update. Also, all of your data is open, so you can report on anything, without having to switch portfolios. You can also get a cumulative report on all of your sub-portfolios combined.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Larry0 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:01 am

I haven't created subportfolios because I don't see a way to import existing portfolios as subs. If there is a way, I will definitely try it, but it's too much work to create a big portfolio hierarchy one investment at a time.

In any case, my feature request stands. Thanks.
Larry0

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:33 am

Hi Larry0,

It is quite easy to convert multiple *.mm4 portfolio files into a single portfolio file with sub-portfolios. You use copy/paste to transfer the contents of a whole portfolio file into a new sub-portfolio. We have a tutorial on doing exactly this. Please read:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/tutor_ports.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback