Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

FINRA Bonds not working

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby gbergou » Thu May 18, 2023 11:37 am

FINRA appears to have changed their bonds server, former tickers no longer working.
gbergou

Postby Mark » Thu May 18, 2023 1:52 pm

Hi gbergou,

Thanks, I see the same problem. We'll investigate, and I'll post back here.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu May 18, 2023 4:15 pm

Hi gbergou,

It appears FINRA has made some significant changes to their website and bond quotes. This will take some time to prepare an update. I'll post more here as we progress.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dlevy » Thu May 18, 2023 6:01 pm

I see this as well. Adding a comment so I get notified when a reply is posted.
dlevy

Postby Mark » Fri May 19, 2023 9:05 am

Unfortunately, the new FINRA site may not be something we will be able to adapt to and fix. We will look for alternatives. There are 2 alternatives currently available:

1) Use the Transaction Retrieve feature to get pricing from your broker. When retrieving transactions, prices are also updated as reported by your broker, even if you have no new transactions. This will only be applicable if your bonds are held at one of the brokers that supports retrieving transactions.

2) The quote server "Boerse Berlin - Bonds" does also offer US corporate bond quotes. You will need to change the symbol of your bonds from the "ticker" value that FINRA used to use to the ISIN used by this server. See the instructions for this server.

If your bond investments are set to retrieve under "Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve" from FINRA, you will need to change them to this new server. You can do it under Investment Properties... on a per-investment basis, or to quickly change all of your bond investment type investments to use this new server, you can use "Options / Internet Settings... / New Investment Defaults...". Choose the "Bond" investment type, adjust the quote server to this new server, and use "Apply Settings to Existing Investments...". This will change all of your investments of type bond to these new settings.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gbergou » Fri May 19, 2023 12:17 pm

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately neither of these work for me. My broker is not listed for automatic retrieval and Boerse Berlin only quotes 3 of my bonds out of 20. Hope there will be a better solution.

Thanks,
Gyorgy
gbergou

Postby Mark » Fri May 19, 2023 1:08 pm

Hi Gyorgy,

Thanks for the feedback. If you look at Markets Insider here:

https://markets.businessinsider.com/bonds

do they offer the bonds you need that you used to be able to get on FINRA?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby carp8diem » Fri May 19, 2023 4:05 pm

Mark

Thanks for the suggestions.

As you suggested, I updated my Fidelity account for transactions and the bond price updated successfully.

Thanks again....
carp8diem

Postby gbergou » Sat May 20, 2023 3:37 am

Hi Mark,

Market Insider is really weird as it provides correct prices for 3 of my bonds, incorrect/outdated prices for 6 others and no results for the remaining 11.

Gyorgy
gbergou

Postby Mark » Sat May 20, 2023 12:44 pm

Hi Gyorgy,

Okay, thanks again for the feedback. That is unfortunate. It seemed like a decent alternative to FINRA.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:22 pm

Hello,

The ability to retrieve from the Finra - Bonds quote server has been restored with version 2022.17.7 of Fund Manager along with quote module 583. You can download this now from the download page.

The instructions have changed slightly with this server, you now need to use the CUSIP instead of the prior "ticker" value. Here are the instructions for retrieving from Finra - Bonds:

Finra - Bonds:
This server updates bond pricing for the last trade date specified by the server. Visit the Finra - Bonds website to look up the "CUSIP" value for your bond. Record the bond's CUSIP as the symbol property of your Fund Manager bond investment in order to retrieve from this server.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gbergou » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:42 am

Great! Many thanks for this update, Mark.

Gyorgy
gbergou

Postby dlevy » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:22 am

I'm having difficulty getting prices from FINRA for municipal bonds and treasuries. I wonder if FINRA is working only for corporate bonds, which seem to be fine.

This is not a Fund Manager issue, but an issue with FINRA.

For example when I go to https://www.finra.org/finra-data/fixed-income and search for CUSIP 952377UC1, I get "no results found". FINRA pointed me to EMMA for muni bonds https://emma.msrb.org/Home/Index and a search for the CUSIP was successful.

Similarly, FINRA could not locate the treasury with CUSIP 912810FT0
(30 year Treasury with coupon 4.5% maturity 2/15/2037).

FINRA used to be able to retrieve prices for these bonds using their custom symbols.

Are others having problems with munis and treasuries on FINRA?
dlevy

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:48 am

Hi dlevy,

If you can't find the investment when searching from:

https://www.finra.org/finra-data/fixed-income

then, you won't be able to retrieve that investment from Finra - Bonds. It sounds like their available selection has changed...

We do also support the "US Treasury" quote server, so for example, your treasury with a CUSIP of 912810FT0 is available on that server. You can read about using that server here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/int ... USTreasury
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions