Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Totalize the values of a custom report field

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:54 am

Hi Mark, in a custom report I would like to have the sum of the values of a custom report field in the Total in the footer. Is this possible ?
Attachments
20240308-ven.13h47-01.png
20240308-ven.13h47-01.png (5.97 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:26 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

The user-defined custom report fields "calculate" for each row, they don't "sum" necessarily. So, if the total you're looking for is a sub-portfolio and all the fields you've used in the equation can be calculated for a sub-portfolio, then you'll get a number displayed. Fields that can be calculated for a sub-portfolio are value based, not price based.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:59 am

Thanks. To explain what what I'm trying to achieve:

I've set a custom investment property named "Stop Loss level". In this property I enter the price below which I'll take my loss.

In a custom report, I've created a custom field to calculate the risk of the investment (the amount I will lose if the stop loss is hit)

'Investment Risk' equation:
Code: Select all
IF(End_NAV-StopLossLevel>0,(StopLossLevel-End_NAV)*End_shares,0)

I would like to calculate the sum of the risks of all my investments, that is the total loss the portfolio will endure if all the stop loss of all the investments are hit (worst case scenario).
I'm not sure it's possible.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:26 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

As you've seen, you won't get a figure reported at the sub-portfolio level with this equation. The reason is the "End_NAV" and "End_shares" figures in the equation. These aren't available for the sub-portfolio, so it can't calculate the equation for the sub-portfolio. Custom Investment properties are available (as long as you assign the property to be a "Number" type, and with a combination method other than "None") at the portfolio level, so they can be used in user-defined custom report fields, but it would have to be with other fields that can be calculated at the portfolio level. You can see an example of this in the FAQ on how to calculate expense ratios.

Maybe in the future we can offer a way to sum all the items, but how it works today is that the calculation is performed at the sub-portfolio level. It isn't just adding up the calculated values of all investments.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:25 am

That makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

Maybe in the future we can offer a way to sum all the items

That would be a powerful feature to add to the custom report. Some very useful and interesting figures could emerge from sub-totals from the investment items directly (sum, average, minimum, maximum...), maybe as an optional additional "sub-total layer" of the sub-portfolio level.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:22 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

Okay, understood. Thanks for the feedback.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports