Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

New Portfolio Wizard

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby carpino4 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:39 pm

I have used FM for several years with Retirement as my top level portfolio. Today I used the New Portfolio Wizard to create a new portfolio of investments in a Trust and selected the option to make it a top level portfolio - that seems to have been a mistake. All I wanted was to keep the investments for the 2 portfolios separate for analysis. Now, my original Retirement portfolio contains all of the Trust investments which is not what I intended. The Trust contains some but not all of my Retirement portfolio. It seems I should be using a Master Portfolio with all the investments (Retirement+Trust) and then create sub-portfolios to track the investments separately. Is that correct? If yes, how can I get there? I looked at the tutorial on New Portfolio Wizard, but am still a bit confused on exactly how to proceed.
Thanks, Steve
carpino4

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:03 am

Hi Steve,

You can organize things using the 'Portfolio Editor' window. I'd suggest reading the tutorial and documentation on this window, so you can use it effectively. See:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/tutor_ports.html

and

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/help ... tedit.html

It sounds like you'll want to create a sub-portfolio hierarchy like this:

Code: Select all
Master Portfolio
  - Retirement
  - Trust

So you can look at either Retirement or Trust, or both of them combined.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General