Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Custom Settings

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Bsrr » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:47 am

Hi Mark - I use Crossover. I know FM/you do not support Crossover per se but I have a question you may be able to provide the answer for. When I upgrade to new FM releases I keep having to create a new "bottle" in Crossover. A non tech description of a "bottle" in Crossover is this is where each Windows app creates its own environment in Crossover. There may be an answer on how to get around creating a new "bottle" in Crossover each time I update FM but I have not yet figured out how.

I had made some custom changes to my Portfolio Editor. When I install a new version of FM in Crossover I lose those custom changes. Is there a file somewhere that saves FM customizations that I can copy and save before I install FM updates and then re-copy it over to where it belongs after I have installed the new FM version?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Bsrr

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:00 am

Hi Bsrr,

Yes, these preferences are stored in the registry. You can either export these to a file, or they are also located in a *.FMB backup file made by FM. To export them to a file, use "regedit", and they are located in the registry at this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Beiley Software

After exporting in your old environment, you could import them into your new bottle.

It would be probably easier to simply restore the "Global Preferences (registry values)" from a backup. FM makes automatic backups, or you can make your own with "File / Backup...". If you use "File / Restore..." you can pick to only restore these preferences in your new "bottle".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Bsrr » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:04 am

I could also take a Backup and do a Restore I suppose. Not sure that is the best solution tho. Thanks.
Bsrr

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:14 am

Yes, it might be essentially like a new computer. In that case, see these instructions:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/newcomputer.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General