Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Define IRA at credit union as "investment"?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby cowanbill » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:35 am

My goal is to define (1) my brokerage IRA and credit union IRA accounts as separate sub-portfolios and (2) group all IRA accounts under a portfolio called "IRA Accounts".

I had no problem to create and retrieve transactions / prices for the brokerage IRA account. But I am not sure of the best way to create the IRA account at the credit union, which is just a high-yielding savings account with IRA tax status.

The credit union IRA does not have a ticker symbol nor CUSPID, which seem to be required on new investment screen.

Suggestion for how to create credit union IRA (savings account) as its own sub-portfolio?

Thanks.
cowanbill

Postby Mark » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:35 pm

Hi cowanbill,

Your goals are very reasonable, and you can do this. You'll want to set up your sub-portfolio hierarchy to look something like this:
Code: Select all
All Holdings
   IRA Holdings
      Brokerage Account
      Credit Union
   Non-Retirement

Use the Portfolio Editor window to do this. This window works a lot like Windows Explorer, and you can read through the online documentation and a tutorial for help using it:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/tutor_ports.html
http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/help ... tedit.html

The credit union sub-portfolio will have just the one investment in it for tracking the savings account. Keep the share price fixed at $1, and the shares equal the value.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby cowanbill » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:53 pm

I created the sub-portfolio hierarchy without a problem, similar to what you suggested.

Next, I used FILE / NEW INVESTMENT menu option to create investment for the credit union savings account. I entered data into the NEW INVESTMENT dialog, but left the SYMBOL and CUSIP fields empty, since these fields did not seem to make sense for a savings account.

I got an error message about "all fields are required". Next I placed 'xxxx' in SYMBOL and CUSIP fields and the investment was created.

What values should I place in the SYMBOL and CUSIP fields for a savings account?
cowanbill

Postby Mark » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:17 pm

Hi cowanbill,

The symbol and cusip really aren't required... The "New Investment" dialog does require you to enter something for the symbol, as it uses this for a default filename. If you want, you can change them under "Investment Properties...".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General