Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

How can I make a sub-portfolio invisible?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby lvs » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:42 am

Hello,
I have a sub-portfolio which I am monitoring but it's not part of my actual holdings. Is there a way to have it set up so that it is there, but doesn't affect my actual holdings/weight/MVs in the master portfolio?
Right now it is showing up a part of the Master portfolio. Can I save this sub-portfolio as a new Master portfolio?
lvs

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:55 am

Hi lvs,

You can just put this sub-portfolio into its own hierarchy. You can only have 1 top level sub-portfolio, but you can have as much hierarchy underneath this as you want, so you can do something like this:

Current:
Code: Select all
Master
  Account 1
  Account 2
  Monitoring

and change it to:
Code: Select all
Master
  My Holdings
    Account 1
    Account 2
  Monitoring
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby lvs » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:13 pm

Ok, that should work.
Ideally, I would prefer to have it as a separate Master portfolio saved under a name different from my main Master file. Can I do that without re-creating the portfolio I am monitoring by somehow saving or cutting and pasting it as a new master portfolio with a new file name (monitoring.mm4 vs. master.mm4)?
lvs

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:37 pm

Hi lvs,

Yes, you can put it into its own portfolio file (*.mm4). Just use copy/paste from within the Portfolio Editor. For an example of this, see:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/tutor_ports.html

I personally find it easier to just have everything in one portfolio file, and then use sub-portfolios. This way, you only have to do one price retrieve, and everything is updated. If you have separate portfolio files, containing different investments, you would need to update each portfolio file separately. You can graph/report at any sub-portfolio level, so you have all the same functionality as if you had placed this data into its own portfolio file.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby lvs » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:30 am

thank you, Mark.
lvs

Return to General