Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

New Investments and the Symbol List

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi Michael,

No, not a complete report for this... You can get some information (like asset type or investment goal) by creating a Custom report, and listing by "Symbol", but not all the properties available in the "Edit / Symbol List..." dialog will report by symbol. You can also export security information to a CSV file, by going to "File / Export / Other / Security Properties...". See the documentation on this feature here:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/help ... ities.html

That export only deals with symbol, name, investment type, and CUSIP.

Is there some feature you'd like to see added here?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby michael » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your response. I would like to see that feature added. It would be useful to quickly be able to see type of income, number of payments and amount per share that is entered in the system for each investment. Also to be able to quickly pinpoint which symbols are not uniformly assigned to an asset type, investment goal, etc among the various sub portfolios I think would be helpful.

Thanks,

Michael
michael

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Hi Michael,

Okay, thanks for the feedback. You can get some (not all) of this now in a Custom report, listed by "Symbol". For example:

Asset Type
Investment Goal
Investment Type
Income Style
Coupon Rate
Payment Frequency

will all report their values when listing by symbol, if all investments of the same symbol have the same property settings. If multiple investments with the same symbol have different properties for one of those, then the field is left blank in the report. You can use this to find symbols that don't have a uniform setting for one of the above properties.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby michael » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:14 pm

Thanks Mark.

Great, I see how that works now. That helps a lot.

A way to create a report showing the payment per share and payment dates entered via the symbol list dialog would be helpful, at least to me.

Thanks again for your help.

Michael
michael

Postby michael » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:40 pm

Sorry Mark,

In the past I entered the expected future income fields via the individual investment's investment properties dialog( as opposed to through the symbol list). I was wondering if there any easy way to apply that data that I inputted already to the security list so that it applies globally to all investments with that same symbol?

Thanks,
Michael
michael

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi Michael,

Not a real easy way, but you can control it...

When using the "Edit /Symbol List..." dialog, and modifying the income properties of some symbol that has multiple investments using that symbol with different properties, the top-most investment in the investment stack will be used to initialize the dialog box that comes up when you choose "Edit...".

To order the investment stack you can use "Investments / Order..." from within a Graph or Report window. In this "Rearrange Investment Order" dialog, select the option at the bottom "Show Investments from all Portfolios". Select the investment with the properties you want to use for initializing the symbol properties dialog, and choose "Top". If all your investments for the same symbol have the same name, this will be difficult, so you would have to give the one you want to move a unique name. As you can see, it can be a little involved, but it is possible.

Another way to order the investment stack is to create a report listing by investment, and sort a report while leaving on the option "Options / Report Preferences... / General / Update Investment Stack When Sorting Reports".
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General