Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Transaction Retrieval Failure from Wells Fargo Advisors

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Willis Dillon » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:07 pm

When attempting retrievals I get a Signon Invalid notice.
The username and password I'm using is the same as what I successfullly use when I logon directly to their site.
Need help.
Willis Dillon

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:18 pm

Hello Willis Dillon,

I would suggest calling them. When you logon to their site, you are logging into their "web" server. This is different than their "OFX" server used for retrieving transactions. You'll want to ask them if your accounts are available for online retrieval from programs like Quicken and Fund Manager. They may not have your accounts on their OFX server. Another possibility is they may assign you a different login for their OFX server from their web server, although this is not usually the case.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Willis Dillon » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi Mark

Wells Fargo claims that they don't support Fund Manager. However the person I was talking to didn't seem to be any more technically savy than myself so I'm not sure if this is true or not.
I neglected to tell you on the last post that I have been able to download my transactions in to my Quicken 2011 & Quicken 2010 programs with no problems.
Willis Dillon

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi Willis Dillon,

It is not surprising they won't support Fund Manager, but they do offer the required OFX server, which any program capable of doing so, can access. Fund Manager can access this OFX server, just like Quicken. Are you using transaction retrieve module 138? See "Help / About...". That module behaves just like Quicken when accessing an OFX server. If you're using this latest module, and have the same login information in Quicken as you do Fund Manager, then they should both work the same in terms of being able to log into the OFX server.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Willis Dillon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:06 pm

After changing my transaction retrieval module to 138 from 137 I'm still getting Signon Invalid notice.
Called Wells Fargo Advisors again about the OFX Exchange Format that they are using but they are quite adamant about not supplying any data except to Quicken or Turbo-Tax programs and refused to pursue the problem any further.
In order to work around the problem I guess I will simply download transaction data into Quicken and transfer from there to FM.

Thanks again
Willis Dillon

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi Willis Dillon,

Since you are able to retrieve with Quicken, it seems you have the correct login information. Have you tried re-entering the same login information into Quicken, and retrieving again? Maybe you have the username or password entered in Quicken different than you think? Another possibility is that maybe Quicken is doing something with the username or password that FM is not, like maybe truncating it to a certain number of characters. FM uses the exact username/password as entered, without any modifications. For instance, Schwab's OFX server requires any passwords longer than 8 characters be truncated to only use the first 8.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi Willis Dillon,

Are you still having this trouble with signing on? One other step we could take is to look at your log file in Quicken, and compare it with the log file in Fund Manager.

Quicken Log File:
Open up Quicken, do the download of transactions, and then select "Help / Product and Customer Support / OFX Log". Choose the option to save the log to a file.

Fund Manager Log File:
Open up Fund Manager, and attempt a download of transactions. Look in your user's "App Data \ Roaming \ Fund Manager" folder. See the files: ofxretr.txt, ofxpost.txt, and xmldump.txt.

If you want to email all 4 of these files (1 Quicken log, and 3 FM logs), I can take a look, and see if I can spot any differences. I'll send you an email, so you can reply to that.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Willis Dillon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:28 am

Mark:
Appreciate your offer. If you will send me your e-mail address I can comply with your request for attaching the 4 files you asked for to an e-mail. Perhaps there is someway to attach files to on this site replies but I don't know what it is.
One thing I didn't mention earlier was that after I upgraded my Quicken to the 2011 version is when the transaction download feature with Wells Fargo Advisors stopped working. This feature on Quicken 2011 still works fine.
Willis Dillon

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:35 am

Hi Willis Dillon,

I sent you an email last night, right after I posted this. Please let me know if you don't see it, and I can re-send.

So, you used to be able to retrieve from Wells Fargo Advisors using Fund Manager up until you upgraded your copy of Quicken? Is this correct? I wouldn't have expected there to be any relationship...
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi Willis Dillon,

Thanks for sending the logs. You are retrieving from a brokerage named "Wachovia Sec-Wells Fargo Advisors" in Quicken. This is accessing the same OFX server as Fund Manager's "Wachovia Securities" brokerage. This is different than the Fund Manager "Wells Fargo Advisor" brokerage, which is accessing a different OFX server. So, please try changing your sub-portfolio's transaction retrieve settings to "Wachovia Securities", and then see if you can't retrieve your transactions okay.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Willis Dillon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:12 pm

Hi Mark:

Made the changes as you suggested but get the same results.
Willis Dillon

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi Willis Dillon,

Okay, can you send me the 3 Fund Manager log files again after this change?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:51 am

Hi Willis Dillon,

I just wanted to complete the documentation here, that we discussed by email. Changing to "Wachovia Securities" for your transaction retrieve settings allowed you to successfully retrieve your transactions.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions