Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

missing OOP basis and gain

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby JeanneMarie » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:04 pm

*****EDITED*****:

I had 185 shares of JPM for some years, received a bunch of cash dividends, sold 85 shares in 2018, and received a bunch more dividends. No reinvestments or anything fancy.

My Portfolio Editor has the right Basis and Unrealized Gain + Unrealized %Gain.

My OOP Current Gain seems appropriately robust, but my OOP Current Basis is a small negative number, and the OOP Current % Gain is "N.A." Is it NA because it's negative? And is it negative because I've earned back all of my purchase price via dividends?

I once had a report that permitted me to see the inner workings that led to the OOP numbers when I clicked on an individual security. At least I think that is so, but I cannot find it right now.

So my two closely related questions are: (1) Any tips for verifying these numbers? And (2) how can I construct the report that I think I remember (if I'm making any sense and it is possible)?

Thanks so much.
JeanneMarie

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:49 pm

Hi JeanneMarie,

Yes, if you receive more dividends than you spent for the shares you still own, your OOP basis will go negative. In this case the % Gain will be N/A.

You could create a Custom report with your Out Of Pocket Basis (current), Total distributions (between), and maybe your Tax Basis, Assigned Method fields. The tax basis will show what you paid for the current shares, not reduced for the received distributions. If you look at the received distributions you can get an idea of the quantity. Since you sold some of the shares, not all of the distributions would be applicable to the currently owned shares, as some of them were for the sold shares.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General