Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

default graph time span

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby bagmore » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:33 am

When I view a graph the time span of the graph is always PRC which can easily be changed to a different time span ... but ... Is there any way that I can change the default time span so that it opens at say "last 12 months" or "2 years" or whatever I select as the default?

thanks
bagmore

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:28 am

Hi bagmore,

If you leave open the graph window when you save your portfolio file, it will be recalled with the same settings next time. The graph window doesn't have to be in the foreground, it just has to be open, and listed under the top level "Window" menu.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby bagmore » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:01 am

Yes, if I leave one graph open after I save, it will show again the next time I open for that specific holding but I want to change the default graph time span so that it will open at the time span I set as default for any holding. In other words is there a way that I can globally change the default time span to a my preference?

thanks
bagmore

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:26 am

Hi bagmore,

Yes. While in the graph window choose "View / Dates..." and set the date range you want. Notice the option towards the bottom "Apply Changes to All Open Investments". Check that, and then you can apply these dates to all other open investments, and they will all be remembered as part of your portfolio.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby french fries » Thu May 30, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi bagmore and Mark,

Same problem of floating dates and no solution with version 12 or 11.
For the graphs, some investments stay well, but others become "custom" and not "last 3 months" as I want after each reboot.
Same problems with the 3 graphs: portfolio gain, share price - Investment overlay, and cost - price.
An Idea?
Thanks
french fries

Postby Mark » Thu May 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi french fries,

The date range of your graphs is memorized as part of your portfolio file. So, set the date range how you want, and use "File / Save Portfolio". Before you save your portfolio again, make sure you haven't scrolled or somehow adjusted the date settings. Notice, there is also an "Options / Save Portfolio on Exit" command, so if you made any portfolio level changes your current graph date ranges will be saved when you exit.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby fitzmooney » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:59 pm

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet.
I have tried all of the above with no luck.
I set them at "12 months" and next time I open my portfolio it has defaulted to "custom".
I notice that the start date doesn't move with the end date to keep it in the 12 months range.
fitzmooney

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:54 am

Hi fitzmooney,

When remembering graph dates in your portfolio file there is no option to keep the start date relative to the end date. The start date will always stay at the start date when you save your portfolio file. The end date can optionally move to the current date. If your end date is at the default ending date when you save your portfolio file, it will stay at the default ending date the next time you open the portfolio file. The default ending date is the date of your last recorded price on/before the current date.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby cbavaro » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:41 pm

Hi Mark,

It's obvious that the idea of being able to set the "Graph Dates" so that a floating end date option could be chosen and Fund Manager would remember this setting has been floating around (pun intended) for quite some time.

Would it be possible for you to add a checkbox next to the "Pre-Defined Ranges:" field and when checked it would cause the software to automatically update the "Dates:" / "To:" date to the current date and set the "Dates:" / "From:" date according to the preselected "Pre-Defined Ranges:" choice? This would be most helpful in eliminating having to set the dates each day you want to view a graph based on the current date.

Thanks,
Craig
cbavaro

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:04 am

Hi Craig,

As Mark explained above, the floating end date option already exists:

1) In the graph, select the date range (eg. 1Y)
2) Save the portfolio file

Now the end date will adjust every day to match "today". More precisely, as Mark wrote:

Mark wrote:If your end date is at the default ending date when you save your portfolio file, it will stay at the default ending date the next time you open the portfolio file. The default ending date is the date of your last recorded price on/before the current date.

But, as Mark wrote too:

Mark wrote:there is no option to keep the start date relative to the end date. The start date will always stay at the start date when you save your portfolio file.

Here is an example:

Today is the 29/10/22. Let's say we select a 1 year date range, so the date range is 29/10/21 > 29/10/22. The portfolio is saved. This means that tomorrow the date range will be 29/10/21 > 30/10/22.
And in a month the date range will be 29/10/21 > 29/11/22.

Because the start date remains fixed and the end date adjusts, this means that it is not possible to maintain a 1Y date range. Each day the date range will be larger by one more day. This is why tomorrow the 1Y date range will be changed by the program to a "custom" date range.

And this means too that if you wish to keep the date range to approximately one year (for example), every few weeks you have to re-select the 1Y date range and save the portfolio again, to "reset the counters". That is to say that it is necessary to reduce from time to time the range which widens with time.
Djobydjoba

Postby cbavaro » Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:03 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post, but based on your detailed explanation that's why I'm hoping Mark will give us an option so that the date range is always based on the selected setting of the "Pre-Defined Ranges:" field. This way I don't have to change this setting so it's always what I previously selected (in my case "12 Months") instead of it defaulting to "Custom" the next day.

Thanks,
Craig
cbavaro

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:54 am

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the feedback, I understand. We have a similar option for reports (Start date relative to end), which would make sense to also add for graphs.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby cbavaro » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:26 pm

Hi Mark,

I just saw your 10/31 reply. This would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig
cbavaro

Return to Graphs