Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Emailing reports

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby jblankenship » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:59 am

I'm attempting to set up batch emailing of reports. I use gmail as my primary email, so I've attempted several "fixes" to get the simple MAPI connectivity to work: Thunderbird (32-bit) and a back-dated version of the old Winmail.

And it appears that the only place to configure email is in the Alert Options dialog - when I choose "Use MAPI Client For Sending E-Mail" and then hit the "Test button", in all cases I get the message "Could not initialize Simple MAPI. Ensure your e-mail client is properly configured for Simple MAPI."

Is there a straightforward best practice to enable batch emailing in a Windows 10 environment? It would be great if there was a gmail connection, for example.

Thanks
jblankenship

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:23 pm

Hello jblankenship,

This feature does require that you have a local email program that is MAPI compliant. Gmail is a web based email, so you will need something like Outlook or Thunderbird. You can configure your email client to send through your gmail account, but you do need a local client. Make sure you have a 32 bit version of your email client installed. Also, use "regedit" to verify MAPI is enabled by browsing here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem

and verify you have a string value named MAPI set to a value of 1. If necessary, add it using regedit.

The above normally should be set up by your email client, but based on the message you're receiving, it sounds like it is missing this value in the registry.

To test your email sending, you can use "File / Send by Email...", fill out the email and settings, and choose "Create Email...".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby jblankenship » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:54 am

That was absolutely the issue. I made that registry change and now it's working just fine.

Thanks so much for your quick response!
jblankenship

Return to Reports