Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Sector Retrieval from morningstar.com options

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby rminoak » Tue May 17, 2022 12:01 pm

Hi,

I noticed Morningstar - Stocks was having issues retrieving prices and saw in the server status window that is going away. I'm guessing that the sector retrieval ability is also affected. I swung all my CDN and US stocks and etf's over to retrieve prices from Yahoo but now noticed that the sector retrieval option isn't working through Moringinstar.com. The price retrieval from Yahoo is great though.

I see the alternate option is to download sector info from Yahoo but that seems to have failed for all 26 stocks/etf's I have.

Is there another way for me set up FM to retrieve sector info for stocks and etf's in the similar fashion that morningstar.com was providing?

Thx,

Rob
rminoak

Postby Mark » Tue May 17, 2022 6:13 pm

Hi Rob,

The sector retrieval from Morningstar still seems to be working okay from here. However, the Yahoo sector retrieval isn't. We'll have to release an update for this.

If you're still not able to retrieve sectors from Morningstar, please let me know:

1) Example symbol and investment type that won't update
2) Version of FM and quote module you're using
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rminoak » Tue May 24, 2022 5:07 am

I think I see what happened. I had all my CDN and US investments set up for price retrieval using Morningstar - Stocks (along with the appropriate CDN specific ticker symbols) but when that site was having issues retrieving prices I switched all my ticker symbols for each investment to now retrieve from Yahoo. Since the majority of my stocks and etf's are on Canadian exchanges it's now not retrieving sector data when I try to retrieve using morningstar.com because it's not finding the ticker symbol for the CDN stocks and etf's since Yahoo uses a different format. I have 4 US listed stocks and those retrieved sector data just fine because the ticker was the same on Yahoo.com as it was on Morningstar.com.

I think that's what's happening. Apologies if I'm not seeing how to correct this myself. Is there a way to price retrieve (and historical price retrieve) from Yahoo and still be able to sector retrieve from Morningstar?

I'm using FM 2022.17.100 personal version and quote module 568.

An example of the CDN investments now not sector updating because I've set them up for Yahoo tickers are:

XIC.TO (etf)
XUU.TO (etf)
XBM.TO (etf)
ENB.TO (stock)
BIP-UN.TO (stock)
ATD.TO (stock)
PHA.V (stock)
TRUL.CN (stock)

Thanks in advance,

Rob
rminoak

Postby Mark » Tue May 24, 2022 10:10 am

Hi Rob,

Yes, that makes sense. Unfortunately, the price retrieve and sector/asset retrieval both share the same symbol field. There is an alternate symbol field you can assign to the "historical" price retrieve server, so if you wanted, you could use Yahoo for your historical server, and set the alternative symbol for Yahoo, and keep the regular symbol for Morningstar. Or, you could set the regular symbol for Morningstar, retrieve sectors, and then change them to Yahoo. I'm not sure how much the sector information changes, so you may not really need to update it often.

If you want to use the alternate symbol for historical price server, see:

Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve / Advanced Options...
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rminoak » Thu May 26, 2022 9:49 am

Ok. That helps me understand how the historical quote server works and my options. I didn't think/realize HST Price History would update today's midday current price from Yahoo but I just tried it today and it seems to update the current midday price for stocks and etf's just fine from what I see. I just assumed historical wouldn't capture today's midday price.

I agree the sector allocation wouldn't change much or frequently. I do like to not be too overly exposed in certain sectors (or under exposed in others) and it's a nice feature and I might rebalance sectors twice a year or so, if needed.

Since Morningstar is the one that is currently working for sector info, I'm going to go with Morningstar symbols for the quote server so the sector updates happen when I run it and use Yahoo for historical price updates using the alternate symbol for Yahoo.

Thank you for the help and support Mark!
rminoak

Postby Mark » Thu May 26, 2022 1:32 pm

Hi rminoak,

Also, you can choose any server you want for the "Historical" server. That is just a name. It is really "secondary" server. You can choose "Yahoo" as your historical server instead of "Yahoo (Historical)". If you retrieve from Yahoo you get the current quote. If you retrieve from Yahoo (Historical) you can get end of day quotes.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Houstonwb » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:36 am

I am having troubles with Asset Type (Style) & Sector Retrieval. See log files. First time I have done this in a long time.
Symbols correct and price updates work. Security Type correct (No Load Mutual Fund). I have modified Asset Type Unused Fields beginning around field 80 to make provisions for fixed income. Selected "Leave investments un-changed" if retrieve fails. Tried with both Morningstar and Yahoo. Both "Skips" left unchecked.

Second question: Do you have default Asset Types for bonds in a fund? For instance,
AAA; AA; A; BBB; Less than BBB; Not Rated. Duration.

----
Asset Type Retrieve Log
06/23/2022 at 12:46 using version 2022.17.2 with module 569.
Portfolio: Dodge & Cox
Skip Hidden: 0
Skip No Price Retrieve: 0
Action On Failure: Leave un-changed
Total Investments in Portfolio: 1
Unique Symbols to Request: 1
Server: Morningstar.com

DODGX (1):FAILED

Requested Symbols: 1
Retrieved Symbols: 0
Investments Assigned to <uncategorized>: 0
Updated Investments: 0
------
Asset Type Retrieve Log
06/23/2022 at 12:28 using version 2022.17.2 with module 569.
Portfolio: Trust 2
Total Investments in Portfolio: 9
Unique Symbols to Request: 8

VHCAX (3):FAILED
VGHAX (1):FAILED
VIMAX (1):FAILED
VFSUX (1):FAILED
VTMFX (1):FAILED
VTCLX (1):FAILED
VVIAX (1):FAILED
VWNAX (1):FAILED

Requested Symbols: 8
-----
Sector Retrieve Log
06/23/2022 at 12:35 using version 2022.17.2 with module 569.

DODGX (3):FAILED:

----
Asset Type Retrieve Log
06/23/2022 at 13:35 using version 2022.17.2 with module 569.
Server: Yahoo

DODGX (1):FAILED

Houstonwb

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:07 pm

Hi Houstonwb,

I too see that Morninstar is not currently working for either Asset or Sector retrieval. We'll have to investigate.

However, Yahoo is still working, although it is less functional than Morningstar. You can only get Asset type for funds and Sectors for stocks. Both of these are working in the current version though. The one you showed in your log (DODGX) doesn't have Asset information available on Yahoo. You can verify here:

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/DODGX/profile?p=DODGX

Notice the "Category" is "N/A" for this fund. If you look at some other funds, they are available, for example:

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/VTSAX/profile?p=VTSAX

No, there isn't an AAA type bond asset type available. You can see the asset types at the bottom of the list under "Options / Category Labels...". See the one's starting with "FI", like:

"FI: High-Limited"

The 2 metrics are Morningstar's "Credit Quality / Interest Rate Sensitivity".
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby z54j15 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:20 am

Hello Mark, running FM2014 , quote module 518, transaction module 216.
Started getting the 'could not update any investments' on Friday June 24 using the Morningstar server.

also tried other servers and received the same results.

probably time to upgrade or something else causing the issue?

thanks
Steve
z54j15

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:30 pm

Hi Steve,

The Morningstar servers recently changed, and aren't currently working in any version. All others are working in the current version. We are working on Morningstar, but I'm not sure we'll be able to fix it. We aren't updating FM 2014 anymore with new quote modules, so to get the latest quote module you will need to upgrade.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:58 pm

Mark wrote:I too see that Morninstar is not currently working for either Asset or Sector retrieval. We'll have to investigate.

The Morningstar server has changed such that we won't be able to restore asset/sector retrieval functionality. Unfortunately, we'll have to remove this server. The only remaining option for retrieving this data is with the Yahoo server.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hoop » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:57 am

Unfortunately, that takes away of a lot of what I use FM for with respect to asset allocation analysis/monitoring for my mutual funds. Doesn't look like the Yahoo service works for mutual funds (asset and sectors). I know that Morningstar is very soon going to be eliminating many features available for basic subscribers, is this a precursor to Morningstar locking down much of this info behind their paywall, so to speak?
hoop

Postby Mark » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:33 am

Hi hoop,

Yes, it is unfortunate but out of our control. I’m not sure about Morningstar’s future plans.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby jb3 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:22 am

Mark

I recall that at one time it was possible to update ETF sector allocation from a local file. If so, I can't find that option now.

It it was possible, it would not be too arduous to manually update a few investments every year to aid in portfolio rebalancing.

John
jb3

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:26 am

Hi John,

Yes, this option is still available at "File / Import / Other / Sector...".
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Next

Return to General