Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

"maximum number of investments open"

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby davepapaz » Sun May 15, 2022 4:41 pm

I tried to add a new portfolio and encountered this message followed by question if I wished to abort retrieval.
My TD Ameritrade account shows 80 positions currently including those in the portfolio I was attempting to add. I know there is a limit of 500 investments for the personal version of FM but I don't see how that would come into play here. Is there some way to "close" investments no longer held or !?
I tried to find any relevant material in help or the forums but was unsuccessful.
davepapaz

Postby Mark » Mon May 16, 2022 8:39 am

Hi davepapaz,

You can find out how many investments are under any given sub-portfolio, by right mouse clicking on it, and choosing "Properties...". You might start by looking at the properties of your top-most sub-portfolio (usually called Master Portfolio).

Typically it is best to "hide" investments that you no longer own, but not close them. This keeps them in your historical records, so they're still included in performance, and you can always see them again if needed. However, if you want, you can close investments to make room for more. This removes them completely from Fund Manager. It doesn't delete the data file from your hard drive, so you could still re-open them if you wanted. Closed investments are not included in any historical graphs/reports/calculations/etc...

The other option is to upgrade to the Professional version, which allows you to have 5,000 investments, instead of 500 in the Personal version.

To close an investment, you can right mouse click on it, and choose "Close Investment".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby davepapaz » Mon May 16, 2022 2:53 pm

So, am I to understand that hiding an adequate number of no longer active investments would avoid bumping into this limit?
davepapaz

Postby Mark » Mon May 16, 2022 4:14 pm

No, hiding an investment won't solve this. A hidden investment is still open, and counts towards the investment limit of each version. You'll want to either "close" some investments or upgrade to a higher version.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby davepapaz » Mon May 16, 2022 8:09 pm

OK, thank you for clarifying.
davepapaz

Postby davepapaz » Mon May 16, 2022 8:12 pm

So, users should be aware that using options may rapidly increase the number of investments in the program as each contract is an investment.
davepapaz

Return to General