Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Investment disappeared from portfolio

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby mxhowes » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:13 pm

One of my investments disappeared from my portfolio. Price New Asia. (PRASX).
I discovered this when I updated my Transactions on 12/31/21 and a new account was created for PRASX showing only the Dividend distribution for 12/17/21.
When I go to File>Open Investments PRASX.dat shows "Date Modified" as 11/17/21.
I see that there was also a new file created today - PRASX_17793613 which contains the above mentioned transactions for 12/17/21
If I try to open the old file file I get "Data file is incomplete or in an incorrect format" . I see there is a "Restore" tab but I am afraid to use it'
mxhowes

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:21 pm

Hi mxhowes,

You can restore just this one investment file. First, figure out where your backups are located by looking at "Options / General Preferences... / Data". Next, use "File / Restore..." and select the most recent *.FMB file that was created before this problem started. (Maybe before 11/17/21?) You will then be presented with a screen showing you everything in that *.FMB file, and asking you what/how you want to restore. Select just this one *.dat file, and choose to restore the selected item only to the original location.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby mxhowes » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:52 pm

I followed your instructions and was able to get the investment back in my portfolio. But now I cannot update any prices. It shows it is connecting to YAHOO, goes thru the list and then says that the investments cannot be updated.
mxhowes

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:16 am

Hello mxhowes,

Are you using the current quote server module (564)? See "Help / FM on the Web / Check for Updates..." or "Help / About...". If so, and you still can't retrieve, please email us or post your log file from "Help / Logs / Price Retrieve...".
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby mxhowes » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:00 am

Thanks, I downloaded module 564 and everything is working again.

Jim
mxhowes

Postby JeanneMarie » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:22 pm

Hi, Mark. This restore process is not working for me. I inadvertently hit the delete key on two matured CDs. It's not hugely important, but I'd like to understand this and restore them if possible.

I can see the securities listed in yesterday's backup. And I've tried each of the two options available for what to do after restoring.

I get the message that the restore was successful. But then I don't see the securities. I have "Hidden Investments" checked under the VIEW menu, and under File Operations, "Hide Sold Investments" is unchecked.

One last thing (if it matters), these two files have the name < autoname_*.dat > .
JeanneMarie

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:44 pm

Hi JeanneMarie,

What restore settings are you using?

Maybe the missing investments are in a different sub-portfolio than you're expecting. You might use the "Find" dialog, or create a Custom report with the fields:

Filename
Portfolio Hierarchy

Do not sub-total, and list by investment. Sort the list by "Filename" and look for the files you restored.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby JeanneMarie » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:08 pm

I'm not sure about your question. I'm clicking Restore on the File menu. I'm selecting yesterday's backup file. I see the two securities (with file names autoname_19.dat and autoname_20.dat). I choose to restore selected items only, to the original location, then re-open current portfolio (tho I've tried not opening any portfolio). I've also tried doing one at a time instead of both. I've always gotten a message that the restore was successful.

This time, I first Set Data Location just to be sure. Nothing needed to be moved. Everything is in one folder.

I created the report you suggest. Then I added symbol and cusip to sort / search again. The two files are simply not there.

But in Windows File Manager, there they are: autoname_19.dat and autoname_20.dat. Tho they are largely unreadable by humans, they do contain the correct cusip numbers.

I'm stumped. Thanks for any other observations.
JeanneMarie

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:29 pm

Hi JeanneMarie,

This makes sense. You are restoring the investment files, but not the portfolio file (*.mm4), so they aren't being opened. The portfolio file stores your sub-portfolios, and which investment belongs in each sub-portfolio, so if you want to re-open these investments, you can either restore the *.mm4 portfolio file also, or simply use "Open Investment(s)..." from within Fund Manager and open the *.dat investment files. You might want to do this if you've made other changes in your portfolio file since this happened.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby JeanneMarie » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:31 am

Duh... it was just that easy: open the investment file. I think I tried that first. But I suspect that when I started this adventure, I had not discovered the autoname*.dat naming, so I couldn't find them to open them.

I really don't want to mess with this further, and there's nothing left that I want to restore, but I seem to recall selecting "After Restore > Open Restored Portfolio" and getting the message that I had to restore everything in the portfolio (not just selected items) to do that. Since I had done other work, I didn't want to risk over-writing (erasing) other stuff. (I guess your recent post suggests that my gut was right.)

Also, the message that the restore was successful was not quite accurate.

I do think that the documentation is skimpy on this. It needs at least another sentence clarifying that you have to restore the whole portfolio. You can't actually restore only selected items without over-writing the whole portfolio (so be prepared). If I were writing it, I think I'd also start with "Have you tried opening the investment?"

In addition the word "autoname" doesn't appear anywhere in the documentation. I'd suggest there is something worth saying about that--at the least, what to do if you can't find an investment file.

You're the best, Mark. I do appreciate the support here.

Cheers!
JeanneMarie

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:54 am

Hi JeanneMarie,

Okay, thanks for the feedback, and glad you got it restored.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports