Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

System error code: 18

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby sbfree » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:58 am

Hi:
I am trying to transition from one laptop to another. Both run FM in Wine. The old install updates fine, the new one generates a window labeled "Fund Manager" with the content "System error code: 18 Message : No more files" when retrieving quotes. When the window is closed another opens with the content "WSAE: 18". The new install was set up by restoring a backup from the old one. Both use the same data from a folder synced with Dropbox. Any suggestions on how to resolve this or other information that I might provide that would help?
Thanks,
Scott
sbfree

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi Scott,

I'm not sure. It sounds like FM is having trouble creating a new file, like maybe a log file on the new system. We don't officially support FM on Wine, but you might try making sure you have the same everything on the both old/new systems, to isolate the difference.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sbfree » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:03 pm

Good to know, I'll delve into the file permissions. I haven't taken Windows off my desktop yet but all my laptops are Linux.
Scott
sbfree

Postby jsaff1043 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:47 am

I have been using FM on Linux for quite a while without any problems. Now I'm getting a code 18 like some other users when I try to update price quotes. I remember I installed it originally using Wine, but do not remember everything I did or did not do. Has anyone attempted to uninstall and re-install using Wine, to fix this problem? If this worked, can you share the exact procedure used?
jsaff1043

Postby Mark » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:20 am

Hi jsaff1043,

I don't have any experience using FM on Wine, but I'm guessing this may be related to the HTTPS protocol used by various quote servers. For example, if you're using Yahoo, it uses HTTPS to communicate, but if you use Wall Street Journal it is only using HTTP. You might try using Wall Street Journal instead as a test to see if you still get the same error.

FM uses the WININET module of Windows to handle the HTTPS protocol. If your Wine installation isn't updated it may not be able to communicate correctly with some HTTPS quote servers.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Sparhawk » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:05 pm

A bit late to the party here but.....my Fund Manager installation using Wine in Linux couldn't
connect to many of the quote servers, nor to Fund Manager itself (for updates, server status, etc.)
After a month of internet searching I found that the problem was two missing packages;
lib32-gnutls and lib32-krb5. Once I installed these everything worked properly.

I hope this information can help anyone searching this forum in the future. :P
Sparhawk

Return to Prices and Transactions