Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Currency problem when I updated

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Wayne McCracken 1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:51 am

Several days ago I updated to FundManager Pro 2020. When I opened my investments I saw that the currency was set to Japanese Yen for all investments. All investments are actually in USD.

I live in Canada so I had CAD set to $, and USD set to U. I guess there wasn't a USD option when I originally set it up years ago.

So, my question is: Is there a way to globally change the currency from Yen to USD without having to do that individually for each and every investment. If individually it would be an incredible amount of work for approx. 250 investments !!

I hope there is a way.

Wayne McCracken
Wayne McCracken 1

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:56 am

Hi Wayne,

If all of them changed, it sounds like your settings under "Options / Currency Settings..." somehow changed. Investments are actually assigned to one of the currency positions (1-25), and the labels themselves are set under this menu command. Those labels are stored as part of your preferences, so they shouldn't have changed by just upgrading, unless somehow your lost your preferences.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Wayne McCracken 1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:10 pm

Thanks for that Mark. Sorry to be a bother.

More details that might help: I replaced the hard drive in my laptop. Before I did that I upgraded to the new version of FundManager on the original drive so it would convert all of the investments to the new format (if necessary). After replacing the drive I installed the new version of FundManager on the new one and copied all of the investment (.dat) files and all of the portfolio (.mm4) files from the old drive to the new one.

So shouldn't that have preserved the settings. As I mentioned in my original setup from the dim and distant past, I had CAD denominated stocks as "$" and US denominated stocks as "U", an option that is no longer available. So maybe the program just picked the first available one after $ (i.e. Yen).

Is there anything different that I could/should have done? I could do it again including possibly reinstalling the old drive and running it from there for a minute if that might necessary. That would be a pain but if it is the only way . . .
Wayne McCracken 1

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:10 pm

Hi Wayne,

Copying the *.mm4 and *.dat files copies all your data, but not the preferences, which are stored in the registry. Global preferences are stored there. If you use the backup/restore functionality in the program it will backup/restore your preferences as well. You can still do this if you have a *.FMB backup file. Just restore the preferences only from the backup file. See the tips on transferring to a new computer.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Wayne McCracken 1 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:52 am

Thanks Mark. I'll try that.
Wayne McCracken 1

Return to General