Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Fund Manager 2016 wont install under Windows 10

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Paul King » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:45 am

Ater upgrading my PC hardware, I am struggling to reinstall Fund Manager 2016.

On a fresh install of windows 10, after freshly booting up, when I try to install (even as administrator), the installer always gives error "Extract: error writing to file dis.dat" and I cannot proceed any further.

It seems to make no difference where I try to install to.

Possibly there is some sort of prohibition against .dat files in windows? Every installer version earlier than 2016 for fund manager I have tried also strikes the same issue.
Paul King

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:53 am

It's a Windows/system issue.

Perhaps not enought space on the hard drive?
Or an issue with the antivirus (try to disable it)?
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:41 am

The dis.dat is a sample data file, and is always installed to "My Documents \ Fund Manager \ Samples". So, check in that folder, you might have some existing data files in there, somehow marked as Read-Only? Assuming you're not storing your data in the Samples directory, you can just delete that folder before installing, and it will be re-created and new samples added.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Paul King » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:40 pm

Mark wrote:The dis.dat is a sample data file, and is always installed to "My Documents \ Fund Manager \ Samples". So, check in that folder, you might have some existing data files in there, somehow marked as Read-Only? Assuming you're not storing your data in the Samples directory, you can just delete that folder before installing, and it will be re-created and new samples added.

Thanks Mark - deleting that folder was the answer.

There were a couple of examples of that file in the folder from previous failed installs, but neither were read only. Also not sure why installer waited until that particular file to record an error, given a bunch of other files even with same dat file extension had also been successfully installed in same place by previous attempts (none were read only - in fact no read only files at all found in folder).

** EDIT . Having now installed , I loaded my saved portfolio, and attempted internet retrieve of prices, only to get error "ERROR: Check that you are not "Working Offline".
In Internet Explorer un-check "File / Work Offline".

I am not working offline, and don't have internet explorer installed.

I presume this is just a result of outdated quote server definitions?

Right up until a few days ago when I upgraded PC hardware and reinstalled windows, the most recent ones I had been using were working fine, but now when prompted to check quote server status I get a message saying this version is no longer supported.

How do I retrieve the old most recently supported quote server definitions I had access to up until a few days ago ? I understand I may not get newer ones, but it would be good to get back to where I was.

I would look at upgrading Fund Manager, but sadly the new features on offer are far beyond anything I can use here - most of them seem oriented towards the US market, US tax system, and online broker data available there. Sadly none of which applies here in New Zealand.

Online brokers here seem to be a good decade or two behind in the information they provide customers - and no transactional information is downloadable.
Last edited by Paul King on Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Paul King

Postby Paul King » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:42 pm

Djobydjoba wrote:It's a Windows/system issue.

Perhaps not enought space on the hard drive?
Or an issue with the antivirus (try to disable it)?

Thanks Djobydjoba - good suggestions, although in this case I had around 500GB free and virus checker made no difference.
Paul King

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:54 am

Hi Paul King,

We only offer quote module updates for the last 2 major versions, this is FM 2018 and FM 2020. To use the price retrieve or transaction retrieve feature you'll need to be on one of these 2 versions. See this policy here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq_license_fee.php

If you still have troubles after installing one of these 2 versions, please let me know.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Paul King » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:46 am

Mark wrote:Hi Paul King,

We only offer quote module updates for the last 2 major versions, this is FM 2018 and FM 2020. To use the price retrieve or transaction retrieve feature you'll need to be on one of these 2 versions. See this policy here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq_license_fee.php

If you still have troubles after installing one of these 2 versions, please let me know.

Thanks Mark. It may be out of date, but is it possible to access the final module I was eligible for and using up until a few days ago under version 2016?
Paul King

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:35 am

Hi Paul,

You can get the last quote module for FM 2016 here. Replace your current file with that same name with this one.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Paul King » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:37 pm

Thanks Mark. Swapped it in, and sadly no change - still reports 'system cannot find the file specified' whenever attempting retrieve. Unless it is a coincidence that that final quote server definition happened to stop working anyway on the day I reinstalled Fund Manager 2016, could something else be the problem?

The internet retrieve log seems to identify the issue in relation to the YAHOO-ASX/NZ server.
I have tried installing and using internet Explorer to look up a quote on Yahoo Finance directly for an Australian share in my portfolio (per suggestion from other threads on here) - which price was found successfully in the browser, suggesting IE is working as it should and is online.

No change resulted for the Funds Manager retrieve process in my case
Paul King

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:06 am

Hi Paul,

You might try resetting the settings in IE. What version of IE do you have installed? Yes, making sure you can browse and look up quotes with IE usually would fix a problem like this.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Paul King » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:07 pm

Hi Mark

I am running IE version 11.572.19041.0 (just what Windows 10 has by default after latest windows update)

I tried resetting IE settings to defaults, but no change - I can manually browse to prices, but FM still reports 'file not found'.

However changing quotes server from 'Yahoo ASX/NZ' to 'Yahoo Realtime' seems to retrieve prices - albeit slowly, and not for all shares - so possibly something has gone wrong with that server in particular over last few days.
Paul King

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:59 am

Hi Paul,

I just tested Yahoo ASX/NZ from here, and it is working okay.

In the IE settings, under the Advanced tab there is both a "Restore advanced settings" and a "Reset...". Can you try both of those? Please also make sure that TLS 1.2 is enabled under the settings. Re-start your computer. Make sure you can browse to this IBM quote on Yahoo. Try again with FM after doing these things.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Paul King » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:30 am

Hi Mark, I have just tried all of below:
Advanced settings restored, system rebooted.
TLS 1.2 enabled
IBM quote retrieved from URL successfully

But still Yahoo ASX/NZ not working for me ('file not found' error) - though when I use Yahoo Realtime this is retrieving prices in FM very slowly.
Paul King

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:04 am

Hi Paul,

Okay. It seems worth trying the current version instead of figuring out why the older one isn't working. Please make a backup of your data with FM 2016 (File / Backup...), and then install FM 2020, and do a "Help / FM on the Web / Check for Updates..." to download the latest quote module (557). Once you have this, please try the retrieve again, and see if this resolves the problem.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Paul King » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:26 pm

Thanks Mark

Version 2020 had no trouble with Yahoo ASX/NZ - even before updating the quote module.
Maybe a registry entry was corrupted or something?

While the quote module from FM2016 was using was old, it had also been working just fine until I reinstalled windows.
Paul King

Next

Return to General