Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Generic import/export total amount

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby DKonigsbach » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:02 pm

Hi Mark! Hope you are well and staying safe.

This is not a request, because I don't know that I'll get around to using it. It's a background thought for if you ever find yourself in that part of the code and have some free time (a mythical quantity I've heard about).

When I'm entering or extracting transactions, the values that I care most about being precise are the number of shares and the total value - those are the quantities that persist and have to balance. Round-off error has to go someplace, and I'm fine with that being the price per share - that's constantly fluctuating anyway.

FM generic transaction import/export use specified quantities for price per share and number of shares, and the total value is the computed quantity. Not what I was hoping for.

So, perhaps ponder a way to import shares and total as an alternative to shares and price?

And, again, this is below background priority.

Thanks!
DKonigsbach

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:30 am

Hi DKonigsbach,

In the current version when you import a buy/sell transaction, the value is determined by multiplying the price * shares, and then rounded to 2 significant digits. Then, the price is actually determined by taking this rounded value, and dividing it by the shares, so any rounding is indeed forced into the price field.

Are you seeing something different when you use the generic transaction import? Are you using the current version?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby DKonigsbach » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:30 pm

Hi Mark,

What you describe is exactly what I'm seeing.

I'm only suggesting that, for me at least, the alternative approach would be preferable: compute and round price based on value and shares. The reason is that (for basis, for balancing value of trades, for knowing out-of-pocket, etc.) storing the correct value is more helpful to me than storing the price.

Again, I'm not pushing for this as an enhancement. You have more pressing priorities. But if you find yourself in that part of the code anyway, consider adding the ability to specify value and shares as an additional alternative to specifying price and shares.

Thanks!
DKonigsbach

Return to General