Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

True Basis and Overall Rate of Return

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby cah1942 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:53 pm

I am still having problems displaying these two most important items. I will try a different approach this time. I want to know 3 things. What did i pay for a stock i.e. my OOP cost, how many dollars have i made or lost, and my rate of return on the investment.
Some details, OOP cost, my only cost is when i buy shares...what i paid for the shares. If i choose to reinvest dividends that should not affect OOP cost. Example buy 100 shares at $30 should not change as a result of any dividend activity. The second one seems pretty easy, how many dollars have i made or lost using my definition of OOP cost. The third what is my rate of return on my original investment. Under the View tab please give me the correct columns to display these numbers. Thank you Chuck
cah1942

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:43 am

Hi Chuck,

Your requested OOP basis is not exactly the same as Fund Manager's. In FM, the OOP cost is just that, your "Out Of Pocket" amount, including everything. It is your overall break even point. So, if you buy some shares for $30 your OOP cost is $30. If you reinvest some dividends, your OOP cost is still $30 (OOP does not change due to reinvestments), but if you receive dividends in cash, your OOP is reduced by the amount you received. If you want to see what you paid originally for some shares, use the Open Lots report instead.

Note also, there is a historical and current version of OOP basis. This would matter if you've sold some previously owned shares. In the historical version you are getting what your break even point is for the whole life of the investment, including any prior realized gains/losses. With the current version you're only getting the OOP cost for the shares you still own.

Given the above notes, you can use the following fields in the Portfolio Editor:

OOP Current Basis
OOP Current Gain
Yield Inception

Note, there is no "Yield Current", it is either for some amount of time (1Y, 3M, etc), or back to the date you first purchased any shares in that investment. This is the Yield Inception field.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby cah1942 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:05 am

Mark; thank you I will try to work this out. One other quick question I had a view of my portfolio's that I mistakenly hit the cancel button on is there a way to go back to a view that I used previously. Chuck
cah1942

Postby Mark » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:16 am

Hi Chuck,

Do you mean you closed out of the Portfolio Editor? If not, what "view" are you referring to? To re-open the Portfolio Editor, use "View / Portfolio Editor".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General