Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Fidelity Transaction Retrieval Failing

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby onlyme » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:58 pm

Hi Mark,

As of 5:45 pm EDT transaction update from FM 2020 | Personal 16.4.1.100 | Transaction Module 239 is failing. The error indicates "Failed to Retrieve Portfolio" using my existing valid Acct Number & User ID. Is their OFX server down, I wonder?

Max
onlyme

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:20 pm

Hi Max,

We see the same problem here. Fidelity Investment's OFX server is returning an Access Denied error message currently. We've been looking into this. Interestingly, this server is still working with Quicken currently, but not with Fund Manager, or if you test their server with a web browser. Nothing has changed with Fund Manager, so it must be some change with Fidelity's OFX server. You can look at "Help / Logs / Transaction Retrieve (Raw)..." to see the log file. I'm suspecting you'll see something about "Access Denied". You can also test it with a web browser, by trying to go to:

https://ofx.fidelity.com/ftgw/OFX/clients/download

This is a tricky one, and I'm not sure what we can do to fix it from our end. We may have to try and get support from Fidelity, but finding the right contact at Fidelity to get an answer this specific may be difficult. We may just give it a few days, and see if Fidelity restores the original functionality to their OFX server.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby divinest » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:37 am

facing the same issue as well, works in quicken
divinest

Postby onlyme » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:19 am

Morning Mark,

Thought I'd wait until Saturday morning to try it again and as you indicate the "Access Denied" error still appears in logs and via the web browser access. I'll sit tight to see if it resolves itself shortly.

--
Max

Mark wrote:Hi Max,

We see the same problem here. Fidelity Investment's OFX server is returning an Access Denied error message currently. We've been looking into this. Interestingly, this server is still working with Quicken currently, but not with Fund Manager, or if you test their server with a web browser. Nothing has changed with Fund Manager, so it must be some change with Fidelity's OFX server. You can look at "Help / Logs / Transaction Retrieve (Raw)..." to see the log file. I'm suspecting you'll see something about "Access Denied". You can also test it with a web browser, by trying to go to:

https://ofx.fidelity.com/ftgw/OFX/clients/download

This is a tricky one, and I'm not sure what we can do to fix it from our end. We may have to try and get support from Fidelity, but finding the right contact at Fidelity to get an answer this specific may be difficult. We may just give it a few days, and see if Fidelity restores the original functionality to their OFX server.
onlyme

Postby janfl133 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:29 am

Same issue.
janfl133

Postby bloveless » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:16 am

Same here with Fidelity - others all work fine. Fidelity must have changed something.
Bill
bloveless

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:19 am

For those interested, there is another 3rd party OFX tool that runs an automated verification of OFX servers, and Fidelity's OFX server is currently failing on that tool as well (scroll all the way to the bottom to see it):

https://www.ofxhome.com/index.php/insti ... istory/449
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aviator » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:23 pm

Hi Mark,

I use FM in parallel with Quicken, latest versions of both. I, too, am having a problem with Fidelity but only with FM, not Quicken. Not sure why Fidelity's OFX servers work with Quicken but not FM. If anyone has success with Fidelity, please let us know.
aviator

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:32 pm

I am suspecting that Fidelity is now filtering by IP address, such that only connections from Quicken's server are allowed. If this is the case, there isn't any way for us to fix this, until Fidelity opens back up access.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby divinest » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:33 pm

Hi Mark, In the meantime (if the connection issue takes a week or more to resolve) is it recommended option to download the transactions in excel format and import to the account? Are there any downside in doing this manual import? Thanks
divinest

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:52 pm

Hi divinest,

Yes, you could manually enter, or download transactions to a file, and then import them. I'm not sure what file formats Fidelity makes available, but OFX would be best if it is an option. It is much easier than a CSV file.

There is no problem with doing it manually or importing, and then changing back to retrieving later on.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby tslee0000 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:50 pm

I downloaded the transactions from the fidelity web logon into an excel file. But I had a tough time setting up the right template to import them into FM properly. Does anyone have a template that works? Thanks in advance.

Tom Lee
tslee0000

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:57 pm

Hi Tom Lee,

Did they offer any other file formats for download?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby tslee0000 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:31 pm

I don’t know if other formats are available. I logged on to the web site, went to activity tab and there was a download option for activities. I just clicked on it with some download filters like date range. Activity type. etc and got an excel file with the transactions.

Tom
tslee0000

Postby divinest » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:36 am

Hi Mark, attached an image of the default header with fidelity brokerage download. They appear to offer only 1 format as csv and the default headers as shown. Thanks!

eg:
Run Date: 06/11/2020
Action : YOU BOUGHT XYZ (Cash)
SYMBOL: XYZ
Security Description: XYZ
Exchange Quantity: 2
Attachments
Fidelity_Account_History_headers.jpg
headers
Fidelity_Account_History_headers.jpg (47.16 KiB) Viewed 4464 times
Last edited by divinest on Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
divinest

Next

Return to Prices and Transactions