Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Investment out of portfolio update+import prices symbol

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Arrow » Wed May 13, 2020 9:30 am

Hello Mark,
sorry again to ask many questions.

1. If I create an investment out of sub-portfolioY for benchmarking use and I put it in the index sub-portfolio and then I update prices in the sub-portfolioY the price of the derived investment does not update. Is there anything that I have to flag or to make other specific choices?
2. When I import prices if I write the header of the column do I have to follow any specific rule such as to write it in this way <DATE> or is it insignificant as the import follows only the preset string?
3. It has happened to me twice that when importing prices after having flagged the symbol in the mask I made typing errors so the program would recognise the symbol as present but in reality not being there it imported prices and it spread them over the first, let’s say 10 more or less, investments making a big mess.
Wouldn’t it be a good idea to provide a dropdown-menu of the investments’ symbols present in the portfolios to avoid this potential damage?
4. When I create a new investment and I select loaded mutual fund there are 3 fields on which I need clarification: how do they relate each other “actual price” “purchase price” and “%load”. In particular the last one concerns the load when buying-entering the fund or the load that is charged for managing it on a yearly base let’s say i.e. 1,5% but, at least in Europe, cashed in on a daily base by the fund manager?
5. If I import real time quotes and historical quotes for the same investment-symbol do they have a different database?

Thanks in advance for your answers
Arrow
Arrow

Postby Mark » Wed May 13, 2020 10:15 am

Hi Arrow,

No problem, please feel free to ask as many questions as needed.

1) The command that creates an investment from a sub-portfolio only updates based on the data at the time you run the command. It doesn't automatically update that investment again, you'd have to re-run that command to refresh the prices in the benchmark. There is a similar command that does automatically update the target investment. See the "Create Blended Investment..." command. Press the "Help" button in each of these dialogs for more information.

2) When you import prices the format string is read from the entry you type into the dialog box. It doesn't use a format string from within the file. You don't need a header line, but you can have one for your own purposes if you want.

3) I didn't exactly follow what went wrong, but if you have a big problem you can exit without saving, or if necessary restore from a backup. To exit without saving, turn off the "Options / Save Investments on Exit" and exit FM. To restore from a backup use "File / Restore...". See "Options / General Preferences... / Data" for your automatic backup settings.

4) In that case it is the %load on that transaction. It is basically the difference in actual price (market price) versus your purchase price, in percentage terms. You can press the "Help" button in this (or any) dialog for more explanation when you have questions.

5) No. FM remembers only the last price retrieved/entered on a given date. Whatever price is updated most recently will be the one stored on that date in that investment. You can see your pricing data in the Data Register under the "Prices" data type. That is all of the pricing data stored for that investment.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General