Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Cash Value Not Displaying Correctly

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby John_Jacob_Smith » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:03 am

I added a deposit to the cash account for my brokerage in Fund Manager and for some reason, it is showing the value at over $19 MIllion after adding just $4200. I had added the transactions as shown in the tutorial as a purchase. I specified 4,200 shares valued at $1 each. The software sees this value as 19M even there is no ticker symbol associated with it. Please see attached screenshot to see what I am talking about.
Attachments
cash.jpg
cash.jpg (18.49 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
John_Jacob_Smith

Postby John_Jacob_Smith » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:16 am

I believe I see the issue but apparently the software was not properly using the cash account when making a purchase. Instead of purchasing X number of shares from the cash account for the purchase of stock, the software was bought from the cash account at a value of more than 1 causing the cash account to readjust the value of each dollar to 4200 per share when it should have bought X number of shares from the account at 1 dollar each.
John_Jacob_Smith

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:38 am

Hi John_Jacob_Smith,

It sounds like somehow your cash got assigned a closing price to a value other than 1. Open up your Data Register, and look at your cash investment. Set the "Data Type" to "Prices". Are all of your closing prices 1.0? I'm guessing not.

When FM records a default cash account transaction it records the "value" of the transferred cash, and uses cash's closing price on/before the transaction date for the price in this cash transaction. If you leave all your prices in cash set to 1.0 this works out well, but if you somehow get some non-1.0 prices in cash, you'll see strange things like this. FM doesn't strictly enforce a 1.0 price in cash, you could set it to something else if you wanted for some reason.

So, to fix this, make sure all your cash prices are 1.0. Use the Data Register. You can also select all the prices (or at least all the non-1.0 prices), and delete them. It will delete all prices except on dates where you have a transaction. This way you only have to modify fewer prices. Correct all your transactions so the value is correct, the shares are equal to the value, and the price is 1.0. All transactions and all closing prices in cash should be 1.0. Finally, double check under this investment's "Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve" that you don't have it set to retrieve prices.

For more on tracking cash, please watch this Tracking Cash Tutorial.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General