Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Program Hang on closing portfolio

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby sbfree » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:03 am

Hi:
I have tried several times to close a portfolio and it causes FM to hang.
Before hitting the button to close I get a message window indicating that there are 11 assets but only one is appearing that has a price and zero value.
Windows Task Manager indicates the process running is Fund Manager(32 bit)
There are bursts of CPU activity but it does not complete.
Trying to delete another portfolio that seems empty works fine. Other program info is:
Installed Available
Main Program: 2020.16.2 2020.16.2
Quote Module: 546 546
Transaction Module: 238 238
Thanks,
Scott
sbfree

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:59 am

Hi Scott,

What exactly does the message window say, and when do you get it? Are you executing some command? How are you closing Fund Manager? Are you sure there isn't some message prompt open/waiting for you to respond?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sbfree » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:39 am

Hi Mark:
Thanks for the reply. I have attached a screen shot of the warning window which opens after choosing to close a portfolio. I try to close the portfolio by highlighting it, then right click to get to 'close' from the menu. There are no other prompts or windows that I can see once I select 'Yes' from the warning window and the program hangs. I thought I was using the program in a portable mode and have a launcher that directs to : "R:\Dropbox\FundManager\FM-Install\Fund Manager\Fm.exe". On normal closing, there is always a period when W10 warns that the program is unresponsive but that resolves in 5-10 seconds. I have never tried to remove a portfolio before. Removing one that is empty works without a problem. I have tried pausing syncing of Dropbox before using the program and it doesn't resolve the problem. I no longer use the program and data from any other machines other than my W10 install. There was a time when I would access the program and data from other machines that ran Linux using WINE. I am not opposed to trying to resolve this by creating a more conventional installation but would ask for some guidance on not loosing my data or configuration.
Scott
Attachments
FM-WarningWindow.JPG
Warning-Message window
FM-WarningWindow.JPG (22.47 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
sbfree

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:55 am

Hi Scott,

I wouldn't expect the location of your data to have any impact on this.

If you turn on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios" do you see your 11 investments?

If you choose "File / Save All Investments", does that work okay?

If you're okay sharing your data with me to test out here, please use "File / File Operations / Set Data Location..." to make sure all your data is stored in a single folder, and then use "File / Backup..." to save a *.FMB backup file. Please email me this backup file, along with the name of the problematic sub-portfolio, and I will test it here. You can also try this yourself, by restoring on maybe another PC, or under a different user on your PC, and see if you can reproduce the problem after restoring from the *.FMB file. When restoring, choose to restore to a specified folder, and not the original location. If you can reproduce it, then hopefully I can as well, and would be better able to identify the problem.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sbfree » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:49 pm

Would the location of the executable matter?

If I turn on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios" I DO see all 11 investments with 0 shares and 0 value.

If I use "File / Save All Investments" that seems to work ok.

I restored a backup to a different drive and let the restore open portfolio. Trying to close the sub-portfolio in question gives almost an immediate indicator in the Task Manager that the program is not responding.

I'm not sure I feel ready to send my data. Any other suggestions?
Scott
sbfree

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:51 pm

Hi Scott,

Understood. You could try closing all the investments in that sub-portfolio first, and see if that can get you past whatever issue is happening.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sbfree » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:27 am

I tried closing the the investments without resolving the issue. I would like to try reinstalling the software before reinstalling Windows itself. Is there any preferred way to uninstall and reinstall?
scott
sbfree

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:37 am

Hi Scott,

What happened when you tried to close the investments? Were you able to close them, but then it hung again when closing the empty sub-portfolio?

Please make a backup using "File / Backup..." before uninstalling. Then, you can uninstall Fund Manager, and re-install it. Before restoring, try just opening up your same *.mm4 file, and see if you can close the sub-portfolio. If you want to restore all your preferences, use "File / Restore..." and restore just the preferences.

Actually, since you are using portable/cloud mode, you might first just try temporarily renaming the fmprefs.txt file before uninstalling. This will remove all your preferences. To put them back, just rename the file back to the original name. Do all of this renaming while FM is not running.

Another idea: Try copying/pasting the top level sub-portfolio into a new portfolio file (*.mm4), and then see if you can delete that sub-portfolio.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sbfree » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:04 pm

Thanks for trying to debug this with me. I left Quicken for FM about 10 years ago when it got corrupted one too many times.

I was able to remove the individual investments as noted before but deleting the empty portfolio still doesn't work. I installed FM in a different Window10 machine and tried to open the .mm4 file but it wanted the location of all the *.dat files. I pulled the portfolio file and data files into one directory and the FM still hangs on trying to delete the portfolio.

I guess I could continue to use the software and leave the valueless portfolio hidden but I am concerned that the problem represents some type of data corruption.

I'm not quite sure I understand you when you say, "Another idea: Try copying/pasting the top level sub-portfolio into a new portfolio file (*.mm4), and then see if you can delete that sub-portfolio."
Scott
sbfree

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:34 pm

Hi Scott,

On the copy/paste, you can select your top level sub-portfolio, and right mouse click and choose "Copy". Next, use "File / Close Portfolio". You can then use "Edit / Paste" into a new blank portfolio. Use "File / Save Portfolio As..." to assign a new *.mm4 filename. I'm just wondering if copying/pasting would clean up whatever issue is happening. For a related tutorial, see:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/tut ... video.html

That tutorial should help explain the concept of copying/pasting sub-portfolios across *.mm4 files.

Another question: Do you have any link sub-portfolios?

You mentioned:
but I am concerned that the problem represents some type of data corruption.

I would also be concerned about this. Something isn't right here, and it is a good idea to get it resolved.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sbfree » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:15 pm

Thanks for the reply. Trying copy/paste will have to wait until I watch the tutorial again in the morning.

I do have linked sub-portfolios. They are set up to display segments of assets like 'Taxable' vs PreTax, or Fixed income only. If I understand you correctly. The linked sub-portfolios would be easy to recreate. Should I delete them first?

This entire problem came to be because both my spouse and I transitioned to retirement and have moved assets from employer plans to other accounts.
scott
sbfree

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:04 am

Hi Scott,

If you have any link sub-portfolios that are linking to the sub-portfolio you're trying to close, try deleting that link sub first.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sbfree » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:55 am

Good Morning & thanks for working with me on this.
I had sub-portfolios that contained linked subs.
I removed them and the issue resolved on the install I did on my laptop.
I am hoping the same behavior will occur on my desktop.
scott
sbfree

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:47 am

Hi Scott,

Sounds like progress... If this resolves the problem on your other computer also, can you describe the sub-portfolio setup in more detail, so that I can try to reproduce the problem here?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sbfree » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:02 pm

Hi Mark:
Does the attached screen explain how I am using linked portfolios? The All Accounts are linked to the web as much as possible, any portfolio at that level is filled only with linked accounts. Maybe I've used your software in a way you didn't intend. If I can explain more, please let me know.
scott
Attachments
FM-Subs.JPG
FM-Subs.JPG (43.38 KiB) Viewed 3951 times
sbfree

Next

Return to General