Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

track dividends

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby alpappy » Thu May 23, 2019 1:24 pm

HI Do any versions of FM track and add dividends automatically and real time quotes
alan
alpappy

Postby Mark » Thu May 23, 2019 3:26 pm

Hi Alan,

All versions track dividends. There are multiple ways you can get dividend data into Fund Manager:

1) Retrieve transactions from your broker/fund company
2) Manually enter, or import them from a file
3) In the Professional/Advisor versions you can retrieve dividend data using "Yahoo (Historical)".

If you're retrieving transactions, it is not necessary to get dividend data from Yahoo. The Yahoo dividend feature can be useful for items you don't own, or on accounts that you can't retrieve from your broker/fund company.

The Professional/Advisor versions offer real-time quotes from Yahoo and WSJ. More details are available here: https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby alpappy » Thu May 23, 2019 11:35 pm

When dividends are issued are they automatically recorded or is there a notification on the system
alpappy

Postby Mark » Fri May 24, 2019 8:08 am

Hi alpappy,

They are not automatically recorded. You would have to retrieve transactions or dividends by pressing the button on the toolbar.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby alpappy » Fri May 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Thanks so let's say there is a dividend and a withholding tax
Once you press the retrieve button where are they recorded
That is would the dividend be saved as such and could the tax deducted be recorded too
Have a look at sharesight program it does this quite well
Alan
alpappy

Postby Mark » Fri May 24, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi Alan,

If you retrieve transactions, yes you will get both retrieved/recorded. They are recorded in your investment as transactions. You can view them in the Data Register.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby alpappy » Fri May 24, 2019 4:05 pm

Thanks seems like good reason to upgrade !! Thanks for prompt reply and all the years of great service
alan
alpappy

Postby alpappy » Fri May 24, 2019 4:13 pm

can I try upgrade and if not want I need can I go back to the basic prog
alpappy

Postby Mark » Sat May 25, 2019 8:38 am

Hi Alan,

The transaction retrieve feature is available in all versions, including Personal. It is not necessary to upgrade for this feature. Yes, if you install the Professional version, and later decide you want to switch back to Personal you can do this. The data files use the same format, so are interchangeable between Personal/Professional/Advisor versions. The only time you couldn't switch is if your portfolio file contained more than the allowed number of investments (500 Personal, 5,000 Pro, 50,000 Advisor).
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby alpappy » Sat May 25, 2019 2:14 pm

Thanks I would like to try the upgrade. Do I just e download it and restore my data. Will that need a different location from my existing FM folder

I do use transaction retrieve but want to see how dividends are retrieved
Ate they only from Yahoo or will i swisquote also pick up dividends
I also want to try to create a new formula for nz tax calculation
Thanks
Alan
alpappy

Postby Mark » Sat May 25, 2019 2:47 pm

Hi Alan,

If you want to try the Professional version, simply install it right over your current Personal version. Do not uninstall anything. You will just accept all the defaults during installation. There is no need to restore or do anything special to your data. After installing Professional, just start it however you normally start the program.

The only "quote" server that provides dividend transactions is Yahoo (Historical). If you're retrieving transactions it is not necessary to retrieve from Yahoo (Historical), as you will get more accurate data from your broker using the transaction retrieve feature.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby theobaldr » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:21 am

If you try thr pro version, and decide to go back to basic, how difficult and procedure?
Is there a discount going from Basic to Pro if you are currently a user of basic for several years?

Thank you.
theobaldr

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi theobaldr,

Yes, you can upgrade for $260, as compared to the new user price of $295.

It is easy to switch between versions. Just install and use the one you want. The data files are the same, so you can switch back and forth. The only caveat to this is the limit of investments. As long as you are changing to a version that supports the number of investments in your portfolio there will be no issues.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General