Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Corrupted files?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby GasPasser » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:21 pm

Suddenly and with no reason apparent to me about half my data files became inaccessible by 2018.3 a couple days ago so I upgraded to 2018.4. Same problem with the same files. Half open up normally. All data files - those that come up and those that don't - are stored in the same local directory.

I have attached a couple of screen shots of messages the system returns when I attempt to open the 'bad' files.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Some of this data is 20 years old. Not a disaster but would like to retain the history if possible.

Many thanks
Attachments
Capture.PNG
1st screen shot after trying to open a 'bad' data file
Capture.PNG (13.49 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
Capture 2.PNG
2cd shot.
Capture 2.PNG (4.66 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
GasPasser

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:42 pm

Hello,

It sounds like for some reason your files are corrupt. You will need to restore from a backup. FM makes automatic backups you can restore from if you don't happen to have another backup. See "Options / General Preferences... / Data" to find where your automatic backups are being stored. Use "File / Restore..." and pick a *.FMB backup file based on the date modified and size of the backup. In the restore dialog you can choose what to restore, so you can either restore everything, or only selected investments.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:40 pm

Beware of your hard disk, sectors may be damaged, you could experience repetitive file corruptions in the future. If so, it may be a good idea to replace the hard disk.
Djobydjoba

Return to General