Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Suggestions of sources that offer quotes

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:42 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Looks like a good source of data. It is more complicated in that you have to subscribe first, kind of like Quandl. If they offer something not on any other server I would suspect you can import the downloaded historical pricing data using "File / Import / Prices / Generic...".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:32 am

Hi Mark, in case you missed it the full historical data are displayed too in a table directly on the webpage. The free subscription is required only for downloading the .csv file.

This is the place to start to see all the content available: https://www.investing.com/markets/
From this page we can see the content is huge. There is a drop drown menu with "World Markets" selected, but any country can be selected to have access to the content/markets of that country.

This is not a request to add it in Fund Manager (well, could be very nice...). And we'll have to see the TOS I guess. It is for the record.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:13 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

Okay, great, thanks for the help/info.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Segunmichael » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:58 am

Dear Mark,

Please has there been any new price source for securities and indices traded in Nigeria? That is, post-deactivation of Bloomberg.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks.
Segunmichael

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:12 am

Hi Segunmichael,

I'm not certain about quotes from Nigeria, but you can see if you can find them on any of our supported quotes servers. Some of the recently added servers might have them, like WSJ, Fondscheck, or Reuters.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Segunmichael » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:18 am

Hello Mark,

You are correct Reuters quote serve covers Nigerian equities but only for recent price. How can i fetch historical prices?

Thanks.
Segunmichael

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:23 am

Hi Segunmichael,

I'm not sure, you can try searching on any of the historical quote servers. Links to each one are here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html

Look at any of them that have "Historical" in their name.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:52 am

For the record, Stooq.com, a Polish site with some parts translated to English : https://stooq.com/

Some information here (from another website) : https://www.chartoasis.com/free-data-do ... help-cop3/

Data for U.S., U.K., Japan, German, Honk Kong, Polish, Hungarian stocks.

A lot of historical data on currencies.

Historical data for commodities too (could be interesting because, to my knowledge, the other quote servers don't offer the historical prices for commodities)
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:36 am

Thanks for the tips Djobydjoba.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rlaggren » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:43 am

Mark

I'd like to get a quick opinion from you or others who have much more familiarity with the securities industry and players.

I've read through this thread because I'm looking for history on a bond. If I understood right, people here say that Morningstar does not provide history. Now that may be true viz download buttons - at least the "Trade History" button above the chart goes to finra, which seems willing to only provide _one_ year of data.

However, the _chart_ on this Morningstar page:

https://finra-markets.morningstar.com/B ... 36&symbol=

Allows setting the date range and after redrawing, displays what appears to be historical data for 20 years when the cursor moves along the plot. Now this is of passing interest to me, even though the onscreen flying balloon data doesn't really have a use, because it means that Morningstar can access all that data from _somewhere_. Maybe from finra, maybe somewhere else. I have not found a single other source for this bond's history data _anywhere_ (although a couple of bond sites may sell it, but I couldn't tell for sure - will dig deeper tomorrow). But I would like to know where Morningstar gets that data because I might want contact the provider...

The finra page that opens from the "Trade History" button will allow setting any date range, but will only display about one year of data. Before I proceed to bother finra (or Morningstar), I wonder if you could comment on them at all from immediate personal knowledge. Eg. do you know whether finra is likely the source of the deep historical data and if they might have terms to make it available. Or is Morningstar pulling 20 years of data from somewhere else just for the chart?

I'm seeking insight here first because in my experience _many_ help desk staffers are not fully informed and few of those seem motivated to further inquiry. If I can learn some good reason before hand to believe a thing exists, it's much easier to persist in discussing the matter with the likely source.

Thanks for any thoughts here.

Rufus
rlaggren

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:37 am

Hi Rufus,

Sorry, but I have no knowledge about the sources of their data.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rlaggren » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:22 am

Mark

Thx for the quick response. Oh well.

Morningstar's chart data has to come from _somewhere_ and I'm starting to wonder just how many truly independent "permanent" sources exist on the internet. Or in the world on paper. I guess the NYTimes archive might provide one hardcopy source, up to, maybe, 2007(?). I hit that wall once but don't recall the details. And I'll bet any one database does not cover all securities.

The Q's about sourcing Nigerian securities data point to a small, and possibly manageable, example of the question. Given a blank check, where _would_ one find that data? Does the historical data even exist? Anywhere at all?

Back to google and maybe the phone. It's a big world so there's hope somebody has already done the digging...

Cheers,
Rufus
rlaggren

Postby B2B_Investing » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:24 am

For what it is worth, the APIs (Application Program Interfaces) that computer programs use to interface with each other, sometimes put rolling date ranges on what data can be downloaded. While the source may have 20 years, the API may only let you pull the last 12 months.
B2B_Investing

Postby rlaggren » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:25 pm

Here is one more option I just came across. I did a quick site search here and didn't see it mentioned. It's a subscription site, but seems to be mostly sell real time data while offering an EOD package that may be worth looking at seriously for "normal" people. Or even for consideration for inclusion in FM.

http://www.kibot.com/updates.aspx#basic

The EOD package that appears reasonable (compared with other similar options) at $15/mo if all data is available. I did not contact them for details; If I reach them later, I'll update here.

One quick related note: FM's existing WallStreetHistorical connection pulled data back to 2012 on my old nemesis KHC; no other sources went back past 2015. That includes Quandl if an online list posted on github showing Quandl's available symbols and years of provided history is accurate. I don't know if that's a fluke or a policy or maybe WallStreetHistorical has some better history grandfathered into it than others. Might be the FM price connection for those seeking the oldest data they can reach with FM options.

Possibly the limiting dates on many other sites (2015 and 2017) relate to mergers and splits - or not. I haven't researched further at this time.

Rufus
rlaggren

Previous

Return to Prices and Transactions