Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Canadian TD WebBroker Questions

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Ron AKA » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:09 pm

I am a new poster from Canada, and am considering Fund Manager to track my investments instead of a spreadsheet. In reviewing the Fund Manager site, some reviews of the software, the manual, and posts in this forum, I have come to the following conclusions. Can you comment on the accuracy and any suggestions you may have.

1. It appears while Fund Manager can pull transactions from TD Ameritrade, a US subsidiary of the Canadian TD Bank, it cannot pull transactions from TD WebBroker, which is the broker account of TD Bank in Canada. Is that correct?

2. TD WebBroker claims to have the capability to generate a CSV file per account, and Fund Manager appears to have the capability to import a generic file. I noted one user here saying they have done it. Can anyone report on having done it, and how clean the data import is? Buys, Sells, Dividends in cash, Dividends re-invested. Issues requiring manual correction?

3. Does Fund Manager accurately calculate the Adjusted Cost Basis needed for capital gain reporting for taxes in Canada? Is Return of Capital handled correctly?

4. I presume importing historical and current price data from the default Yahoo works for all stocks on the Toronto Stock Exchange?

I am hoping to reduce the manual entry I have now in my spreadsheet and better track my actual portfolio allocation to my target allocation across multiple accounts; Open, TFSA, RRSP for myself and my wife, plus a joint savings account - total of 7 accounts.

Thank you for reading this, and any suggestions you may have,

Ron
Ron AKA

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi Ron,

1) Yes, that is correct. No Canadian broker offers the required "Open Financial eXchange" (OFX) server. I believe it may be some legal restriction in Canada.

2) You can import a CSV file, but that is usually the most difficult. If they offer any other formatted option, like OFX, QFX, or QIF those would be easier.

3) I'm not real familiar with Adjusted Cost Basis, but it may be the same as our Average Cost Basis calculation. Return of Capital lowers your tax cost basis.

4) It works for all items listed on Yahoo. They do support the Toronto Stock Exchange. Usually the tickers have .TO at the end, and that is how you would record them in Fund Manager if you retrieve from Yahoo.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Ron AKA » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:18 pm

Mark wrote:2) You can import a CSV file, but that is usually the most difficult. If they offer any other formatted option, like OFX, QFX, or QIF those would be easier.

Thanks for the response Mark. On a closer look it seems that I can download the Holdings file for one account at a time in QFX, OFX, or CSV format. However, CSV is the only option for Transactions. Here is a link to their help page for downloads.

https://www.td.com/ca/webbroker/help/do ... dures.html

What kind of issues can I expect to see when using CSV for Transactions?

Ron
Ron AKA

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi Ron,

They talk about downloading transactions to Quicken at that link. That is likely downloading an OFX, QFX, or QIF file. I would try those before the CSV. CSV is just very generic, so you may likely have to massage the data, and it is more difficult. You have to tell FM what columns of data you have, what order, etc. With the other formats they are well defined, so all you have to do is import. I would just try the Quicken transaction download, and see what file extension it downloads with. Based on this, choose the appropriate import under "File / Import / Transactions" in Fund Manager.

Downloading to Quicken using Internet Explorer
On the Account Holdings page, select the account you would like to download from the drop down menu at the top of the page.
Scroll down to the bottom of the Account Holdings screen of the account.
From the drop-down menu next to the words "Download to:", select Intuit Quicken and then click the "Download" button.

* All transactions to the close of the last business day will be exported.
First Time Exporting to Quicken?
If this is your first time downloading to Quicken, you may receive a pop up window asking you what you want to do with this file you are about to download - Open or Save.

Choose the "Save" option, and then it will download probably a .QFX or .QIF file which you can import into Fund Manager.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Ron AKA » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:10 am

Mark,

Yes, I have tried the Quicken and Money Holdings downloads and OFX, and QFX files are saved in my Download folder. My concern is that downloading Holdings is one time activity. TD only offers the CSV format to download Activity (Transactions). That is a monthly process that will be repeated over and over, and is of more interest in saving time over a manual entry.

Do you have to tell FM what the columns of data are and the order every time you download, or is that a one time setup to use CSV files?

Ron
Ron AKA

Postby Mark » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:00 am

Hi Ron,

Have you checked the actual Quicken download to see if it contains transactions, or just position information? Their documentation seemed to imply both, so a quick check would probably be worthwhile. Just use "File / Import / Transactions / Open Financial Exchange..." and see what comes in for all dates/all accounts. You can cancel at the Preview page. If it does contain full transaction history, you can use this going forward as well, just by using the date filter in the import dialog.

For the CSV, you tell FM a format string when importing. That is remembered for you, but if you have to massage the CSV data, you would have to do that each time. You could create a "helper" spreadsheet, where on one sheet you paste the downloaded data, and on another sheet you do the massaging/reference information from the raw data sheet. You could save the 2nd sheet to a CSV and import that into Fund Manager. This would still have to be done each time, but it would be much faster.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Ron AKA » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:33 pm

I have not downloaded FM yet, so I have no easy way to check the OFX and QFX files. However I downloaded the CSV file from the Holdings screen and viewed it in a spreadsheet. It only contains holdings data, no transactions.

I will see if I can upload an CSV file from the Transactions (Activity) screen of TD WebBroker. It does seem to have the transaction data in some sort of reasonable sequence. What sort of adjustments would I have to make to use files like this?

XXXXXXA-activity-16-Nov-2017.csv
1 month, 1 Account, Activity file in CSV
(1.78 KiB) Downloaded 566 times

Ron
Ron AKA

Postby Mark » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi Ron,

I don't see "Symbol" as a column, so you'd have to add that. Also, you would need to change some of the transaction codes. The BUY and SELL are fine, but the others are not the same as Fund Manager transaction codes. I would suggest reading the documentation on importing a CSV transaction file here.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Ron AKA » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks for the responses Mark. I have a pretty good idea now what I am up against. I will have to download FM as a trial and see how much time it takes to get data from TD WebBroker to FM. It would seem to come down to manual input of data or doing data correction in a spreadsheet as an interim step.

Ron
Ron AKA

Return to Prices and Transactions