Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Distribution with account fee question

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby larryw » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:56 pm

I'm trying to create a report that shows distribution as well as the account fee charged by the bank/investment. I know I can include that column but only $0.00 is reported.

In looking at the transaction imports the fee seems to only be in the memo field but a stock is sold to cover the cost. The bank deposit sweep shows the "Quarterly fee" in the memo and also shown as a redemption.

Is there a way to have the fee included in the Distribution report?
larryw

Postby Mark » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:42 am

Hi larryw,

Make sure it is recorded as a fee, and not just a withdrawal. An account fee should be recorded as a "Distribution", of type "Account Fee". The value should be negative. If an account fee is taken out of cash, record it as a reinvested distribution of type account fee. The value/shares are negative. Price is still 1.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby larryw » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:22 am

Is there a way to change it after it's been imported? I selected the Quarterly Fee (memo field) but don't see to re-classify. Right now it shows as a Redemption in the default cash account.
larryw

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:40 am

Hi larryw,

You can't edit a redemption to become an account fee. You have to delete the redemption, and record it as an account fee. An account fee is a distribution transaction, of type "Account Fee".
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby larryw » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:55 pm

Thank you but now I have another question.

I found that if I added a new distribution as an account fee without deleting the previously downloaded activity it did not change the account balance but does show up on the report as a fee. Why is that?
larryw

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi larryw,

If you don't record it as "Reinvested", it will not change the shares owned (or the market value). Typically, you record an account fee as Reinvested, which means you sold that many shares to pay the fee. By recording it as distributed (not reinvested), it is like you sent in a check to pay the fee.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby larryw » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:29 pm

One more question.

This investment has a cash account and I can see all the activity in that account in FM but when I create a report the cash account doesn't show at all. It doesn't show in the investment, performance, or distribution as a line item. It does show up in Portfolio Editor.

When I run a distribution report and include fees there is a column for fees which shows 0 for all items but the total of the account fee column has the total fees paid.

Any way to get that cash account to show?
larryw

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi larryw,

What report type are you running? If you're in the Distribution Summary report type, go to "Options / Report Preferences... / Distribution Summary", and turn off the 2 options:

Exclude Cash Type Investments
Exclude Default Cash Account
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby larryw » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:30 pm

I already had those unchecked.

I talked to the bank today and he said the account is mutual fund account and they type doesn't show a line item of cash account but the sale of stocks or dividends are put into that account quarterly for the fees.

Still, it seems odd that I can see the account in the Portfolio Editor but nowhere else. Any reason for that? Maybe I need to make a change in the account type?
larryw

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:00 pm

What report type are you looking at? Is your investment that isn't being displayed marked as hidden? What investment type is it?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby larryw » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:43 pm

No, it's not hidden and and it's showing as Cash as asset type. The rest are shown as No-Load Mutual Fund.

It did not show any account number or CUSIP although I put an account number in the box it didn't make any difference.

In Portfolio Manager it shows"
Symbol - none
Price - $1
Shares - 0
Value - 0
Basis - N/A

The report I'm looking at now is a custom distribution that includes dividends, int inc, acct fee, other, total, div yld. Nothing is checked under Exclude Investments.

However, running a performance report with no filters lists each investment but the bank sweep account is not showing even as a line item.

I hope that helps.
larryw

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:10 pm

Hi larryw,

I'm still trying to understand what report "Type" you are looking at? Is it a "Custom" report or a "Distribution Summary" report? To find out, look under "Edit / Settings..." and see what you have for "Type"?

If you turn on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios", does your cash investment show up?

What do you have for the setting: "Options / Report Preferences... / General / Do Not Display Investments with Zero Share Balance"?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby larryw » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:10 am

Sorry I confused things. It's Distribution Summary.

I see now I didn't have the Hidden Investments turned on. I enabled that option and now it does show up in all reports so that fixed my problem.

I did have the option set to not display zero balance accounts at end of period.

Thank you for your help.
larryw

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:31 am

Hi larryw,

Glad you found a solution. You could also turn back off the "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios" option if you turn off the option to not display investments with zero shares on the ending report date. Just an option, in case you have other hidden investments you don't want displayed.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports