Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Suggestions of sources that offer quotes

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Djobydjoba » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:16 am

Hello all,

Mark wrote:Bloomberg was an excellent source for quotes, it will be difficult to replace. We may need to investigate adding additional quote servers to help cover markets not available on any of our supported servers now. If you're aware of any good sources that offer quotes not on any of our current servers, please let us know. It may take some time, but hopefully we can get our coverage back up after the loss of Bloomberg.

Quotes are the lifeblood of Fund Manager. Perhaps this topic could centralize the suggestions of sources for quotes ?
Djobydjoba

Postby Djobydjoba » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:31 am

Xignite offers Financial Market Data APIs

Not free.

http://www.xignite.com/Products
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:35 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

In order to add a server they should at least have some free data, like Quandl.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:07 am

In France we have our famous website "Boursorama".

http://www.boursorama.com/bourse/

Very exhaustive with most of the funds, ETF, equities in Europe I guess. In the search field, type the name of the asset or the ISIN code.

I don't know if it's possible to download historical quotes, but at least the quote of the day can be retrieved, several softwares have implemented that.

The database is big so this can be interesting for us in Europe.

Regards.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:02 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

Okay, thanks for the link. We've just added support for several new quote servers. Hopefully this will be a step towards filling the void from the Bloomberg server. You can see the updated list here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:16 am

Great!
Djobydjoba

Postby Segunmichael » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:43 am

Hello Mark,

Please is there no way around the issues with Bloomberg? I cover Nigerian Equities and Bloomberg is the only quote server you used to have. Now the FM is practically blind without Bloomberg Quote server. Please have you found an alternative for Nigerian securities??

:(
Segunmichael

Postby Mark » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:06 pm

Hi Segunmichael,

I'm not familiar with those securities. I would suggest checking on our other servers. Maybe Reuters? We have links to all our supported servers here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html

If you have suggestions for other servers to add (besides Bloomberg), please let us know. I'm sorry we had to remove Bloomberg, but we can not be violating their terms of service.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:41 pm

Mark,

Sorry to have to ask the question - but because of the amount of work necessary to modify hundreds of investments - are we sure the Morningstar terms of service are more compliant, and will be a long-lasting source for quotes ?
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

That is a very fair question. All I can say is that their current TOS do not specify programs like Fund Manager cannot access data from their site. We don't own their site/data, so can't really make any predictions about the longevity. We have been using them for several years so far without issue, and have just now expanded to support other countries/exchanges. As long as it is technically and legally possible we will attempt to keep supporting them.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:09 am

Hi Mark,

I think I've just found a very interesting source for quotes, in particular for us in Europe! :D

It's a deutch website : http://www.fondscheck.de

In the "Suche" field, type the name for the asset (fund, ETF, action, bond...) or the ISIN code.
Then at the bottom of the page for the asset, click the "Kurse" link.
And then click the "Hist. Kurse" link. Tada!

I've tested with several assets, at first sight the database seems exhaustive, and the historical depth very good (more than 5 years)!! :D

This seems very good, isn't it ?

Do you think this could be implemented as a new quotes server in Fund Manager ?
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:57 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Thanks for the help. Looks interesting, let me take a closer look, and I'll get back to you here.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:21 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Thanks very much, this does look like a great source for quotes for a wide variety of stocks/bonds/funds/exchange rates. We'll work on getting this added.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:49 am

If you are confident with the possibility to integrate this one that's great!

Just for information there is a menu "Börsenplatz auswählen" above the historical prices, where the financial place can be selected. For funds, to have the correct NAVs it seems that "Fondsgesellschaft" has to be selected (which means the quotes issued by the manager of the fund).

Could you give us more visibility on when the new quotes servers could be added ? I'm thinking of Wall Street Journal and this new one. My question is : do you plan to make available these servers before a next major release of Fund Manager ? Because we have to deal with the loss of Bloomberg now. Personnaly I haven't update Fund Manager and the quote module yet, I'm waiting for more visibility and a stable replacement solution. Currently the Morningstar solution with no possibility to download historical data for some funds is not optimal and I would prefer to wait for these others servers before doing the work of modifing all the investments.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:41 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Thanks for your help here. We've just now released quote module 499, which adds both current and historical versions for this server. This way you can use the same symbol to get either current or historical pricing. The current server is likely the last end of day as it is just retrieving the most recent historical record. Please read:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/int ... FondsCheck

and give the new quote server a try. It seems to offer a very wide variety, including exchange rates, which is great.

We don't have real immediate plans for adding the Wall Street Journal as a quote server. If conditions change we may re-evaluate.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Next

Return to Prices and Transactions