Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Realised gain error in custom

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby alpappy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:51 am

Hi When I do rallied gain between and inception I get the same figure It seems as though the between figure still uses the one from inception not the start report date Is this something I have done or an error
thanks
alan
alpappy

Postby alpappy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:51 am

Sorry realised gain
alpappy

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:47 am

Hi alan,

The realized gain fields for (between) and (inception) will give the same number if you closed all the same positions within the report's date range and between the investment's inception and ending report date. Look at the "closing" transactions, and see when those occurred. If the closing transactions happened within the date range then they will be included in the reported figure.

If you're not sure of the closing transactions, look in the Data Register, or you can run a Capital Gains report and look at the "Sold" column for the date of the closing transaction.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby alpappy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:14 am

Hi thanks for tax here I need capital gains from start report to redemption only. Can I do that
Alan
alpappy

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:19 am

Hi Alan,

You can get the realized gain/loss for any date range you want using a Capital Gains report. This will give you the gain/loss of each lot that has been closed within this date range.

You can also get the overall total for an investment, where you may have closed multiple lots, by using the Custom report with the "Tax basis realized gain, Assigned method (between)" field.

I'm not sure I followed what you're looking for in "start report to redemption only"? If there are purchases after a redemption, this will not change the realized gain/loss, as those are "opening" positions, which won't affect the realized amounts. If you still have questions, maybe you can give me a specific example.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby alpappy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:01 pm

An example

I bought a bond 4 years ago in AUD (Base currency) NZD at par value 120,000 AUD

The redemption date was 15 Jan 2016 again at par so 120,000 AUD because offered change the capital loss in NZD is 30,000

However the report I need is only from ist october 2015 until today was redeemed on 15 jan

The forex and price from 1st october until is was redeemed is only 4,000 but the report still shows the 30,000 should be only the 4 using date between
hope that helps
alan
alpappy

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:35 pm

Hi alan,

The realized gain/loss will be reported if your report covers the date of 15 Jan 2016 when you sold the shares. The realized gain/loss will use the exchange rate on the date of the sell if your default currency is not the same as the investment and you have "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted" turned on.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Houstonwb » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:19 pm

Why would the total capital gains in the Capital Gains report be different that the "Tax rlz gained AVG (btw)" custom field for the same periods and average basis? The total Redemptions agree.

I notice that a negative Dividend Reinvestment is treated as a Sale, rather than as a contra entry. The Capital Gains report includes the transaction in the Sell Value column. The Redemptions custom field does not include the negative transaction.
I use a negative transaction to reverse out a duplicate Dividend Reinvestment. I want a record of both the duplicate trx and the reversal to keep track of when I am getting this duplicate and to memorialize that I have backed it out.
Houstonwb

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:06 pm

Hi Houstonwb,

Why would the total capital gains in the Capital Gains report be different that the "Tax rlz gained AVG (btw)" custom field for the same periods and average basis?

Make sure you are using Average Cost in your capital gains report settings for the accounting method. Make sure the date range of the 2 reports is the same. Make sure you are summing all the different term gains (Short/Med/Long) from the Capital Gains report, to compare to the "Tax rlz gain AVG (btw)" field.

A negative reinvestment is you selling some shares to pay a distribution (usually an account fee type of distribution, but it could be any distribution type). Since you're selling shares, this is a capital gains event.

If you have a duplicate reinvestment, can you just delete the duplicate?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Houstonwb » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:06 pm

Cost basis account method and period/data range are both the save (Avg).
Will send you some screen shots by email.

As I mentioned, I use a second transaction to reverse out an errant transaction, rather than deleting the problem transaction. This keeps track of the errant transactions and shows that they were corrected. I was getting incorrect transactions regularly in downloads and I wanted to see whether I could adjust the settings to fix this.
I disagree that they should be recorded as the opposite transaction type, for instance a sale to offset a purchase. Since they are to reverse a previous transaction, they should undo the original, rather than offset the original with a different transaction. This is sort of like the exchanges cancelling a transaction, rather than selling a position to offset a buy. From a programing perspective, this might be to allow negative quantities.
Houstonwb

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:20 pm

Hi Houstonwb,

You can record a negative shared transaction, that is fine. However, if you record a negative shared purchase, this is treated the same as a sell of positive shares. There is no "cancel" transaction support. If you have 500 shares, and purchase another 100 shares, and record a purchase of -100 shares to "cancel" the later purchase, this is as if you sold 100 shares. You would have to use the "Specify Lots" accounting method to match up that purchase of -100 with the purchase of 100. For example, if you use FIFO, the purchase of -100 will be selling some of the original 500 shares, and not the later purchased 100 shares.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports