Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Reports on multiple-subportfolios

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby hub » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:37 pm

Would it be possible to add a feature in reports so instead of being able to select only one point in the portfolio tree, we can select multiple portfolios?

If I have my tree organized the following way for example

joint
-broker 1 (more buy & hold)
-broker 2 (more of a trading portfolio)
me
-ira r/o (broker 1)
-ira r/o (broker 2)
-ira roth (broker 1)
wife
-ira r/o (broker 1)
-ira r/o (broker 2)
-ira roth

I sometime would also like to look at returns by turnover characteristics or expenses. I can copy and paste the sub-portfolios so that I have another tree

buy & hold port
-JT broker1
-me ira r/o broker 1
trading port
-JT broker 2

But the problem with that approach seems to be if a new investment gets added to a sub-portfolio, it will not be reflected in its copy, so I would need to delete the second set of trees and re-copy, and at my age late at night or after three martinis, I could just as easily delete the original sub-portfolio. Then I would need to restore from backup and figure out what changed since then etc.

If you can make FM traversing down one tree, I am sure you can make it traversing down multiple trees. :-)

Bob
hub

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the idea. This is of course possible.

Since you mentioned the copying idea, that made me think it might be nice to have a sub-portfolio that can act as a symbolic link. You could make a copy of a sub-portfolio and designate it a symbolic link back to the original, so any changes you make in the original will also automatically be reflected in the linked copy. I'll have to give this some thought...
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hub » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:52 am

I think symbolic link is a better idea than mine. With being able to multiple tree, there is always the risk that someone might try to select a tree then a branch down the same tree, confusing.

I consider this a lower priority feature than multi-currency OFX imports, which should help you win more converts.
hub

Return to Feedback