Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

master security list workaround

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby hub » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:11 am

I am trying out FM and see a lot of positives, especially when it comes to support and new functionalities.

However, I find it strange that there is no master security list. I guess it is probably this way for historical reasons, but for those of us migrating from Quicken who have long tranx histories (longer than our brokers are willing store on their OFX servers). We need to import from Quicken as QIF, enter CUSIP and perhaps change currencies (for multi-currency portfolios), then import OFX. 20,30,40 names across multiple accounts (me/wife/kids x IRA/Roth/taxable x different brokers). The work is tedious.

Any suggestions as to a quicker way? Is there anyway to specify CUSIP in QIF? I can handle a text editor. :-) I don't need a standards-compliant QIF, I just need something that FM can understand and will match to subsequent OFX imports. I tried exporting a QIF file from FM with a subportfolio that contains securities with CUSIP numbers, and I didn't see CUSIP in the resulting QIF file.

Failing that, can master security list be implemented? Will we see it in V11 or V12? It is probably a cleaner way in the end, as there will be times where one has to enter prices manually.

Now that Quicken is a monopoly, there will be even less incentive for them to add features. I see lots of unhappy customers like me who are paying for upgrades without getting any new features. That translates to a big potential market for you. But only if migration is relatively painless.

I have a few other minor suggestions I will post separately.
hub

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:46 am

Hi hub,

Thanks for trying out FM, and the feedback.

We actually do have this feature, but it is currently only available in the Advisor version. See "Edit / Symbol List...". The thought process behind making it an Advisor only feature is that Advisors have many clients, often with the same security. Making a way to edit all investments with the same symbol is very handy for Advisors. I can understand it also being helpful even for investors with several accounts holding the same security.

Unfortunately, there is no support for CUSIP in the QIF file format. I guess we could come up with a non-standard add-on to support QIF, but since no other applications can generate that, I'm not sure it would be very helpful...

One suggestion is that you can download/use the Advisor version as a trial, and use it to edit your symbol list, modifying the CUSIPs. Switch back to the version you want permanently (Personal/Professional) when you're done. The file format saved between all 3 versions of Fund Manager is the same, so you can switch versions with the same data files.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hub » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:42 pm

Mark,

Thanks for tip. I like the symbol edit feature!

Bob
hub

Return to Feedback