Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Suggestion for Investment Distribution Entry Process

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Ron AKA » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:59 am

Since I am in Canada with TD WebBroker, I am unable to download my investment transactions and I have to enter them all individually and manually. As I am entering data monthly for 6 accounts with multiple investments in each account this is a very time consuming process. The amount of effort on my part could be cut to less than half with the implementation of this suggested improvement.

When the distribution for the investment is fully reinvested in additional shares there is no problem with the current process. This is typical for mutual funds which use fractional share values. However, when the investment is a stock share or ETF share, they use whole number share values. In this case there is always a number of shares bought with the distribution cash, and a residual cash value. With the current entry process I have to enter the number of shares and value of the purchased shares, and then go through a separate distribution entry process for the residual cash, after manually calculating what it is. More than double the effort.

My suggestion is to provide two check box options on the entry screen instead of the single "Reinvested" option. One should be "Fully Reinvested" which would be identical to the current Reinvested option. The other box should be "Partial Reinvestment". This would be very similar but with an additional box allowing you to enter the total dividend value. In this case the reinvested box would be a different number along with the shares bought. The residual cash between these two values should be calculated and entered as simply cash to the account, without another complete distribution action.

And one more more minor improvement would be to not self populate the price of the shares bought. In my experience this price is always wrong, and I have to start each entry by deleting the populated price. The price should only be calculated from the value and number of shares.

I am hoping this suggestion will be given some consideration. This would be a tremendous time savings for those doing manual entry of distributions.
Ron AKA

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:35 am

Hi Ron AKA,

Thanks for the ideas/feedback and thorough explanation. I understand. We'll give this some thought and see what can be done.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback