Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

in-kind distribution from retirement a/c

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby JeanneMarie » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:15 pm

If you transfer securities from a retirement account to a non-retirement account (an in-kind distribution), you get a new tax basis: market value on the day of the transfer. Fund Manager asks for market value of transferred shares and reflects the correct value in the Data Register of the receiving account. But I'm getting the original cost as the tax basis in reports. Given that Fund Manager tracks OOP separately (and I wouldn't trade that away), allowing me to adjust the tax basis would be much better.

I realize this is not a very common transaction, but the same step-up (or -down) in tax basis happens when shares are gifted--a little more common I'd guess.

So is there a way to make Fund Manager give me the correct tax cost basis in reports? And if not, then this is a feature request. Perhaps an additional field in the transfer dialogs?

Thanks for listening,
Jeanne
JeanneMarie

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:25 pm

Hi Jeanne,

Fund Manager tracks both "tax" and "oop" basis.

Did you use "Transfer Between"? If so, the tax basis is moved as it was in the source investment. If you want to change it, you can edit the Transfer In transactions. In the Transfer In dialog you can enter separate OOP and Tax cost basis figures.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby JeanneMarie » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:48 pm

Yes! That fixed the report. I'm not sure how important it would be, but when I adjusted the tax basis, I was asked for the date acquired. I'm entering the date of transfer, which is the date of this new tax basis. Makes sense? Or do I want to retain the original purchase date with the new basis? I don't see where it might come into play but might it?

Thanks so much.
JeanneMarie

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:52 am

Hi Jeanne,

Usually when you transfer shares, the tax basis "date acquired" is the date you originally bought them. I'm not sure of the tax specifics for your case here. You might want to ask your tax advisor or research it. This date is used in determining whether your gains/losses when you sell are short or long term.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby JeanneMarie » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:10 am

Oh, okay. You've told me enough.
Thanks.

PS: So the transfer-in requires the original purchase date plus the new tax basis.
JeanneMarie

Return to Feedback