Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Yahoo Historical price server mess

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Bobo » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:46 pm

If someone were to use the "Yahoo Historical" price server to retrieve past stock quotes, that server supplies quotes out to 6 decimal places, which creates a mess. For example use the server to retrieve MSFT stock quotes for the dates of 2/10/2022 - 2/18/2022. The quotes retrieved into FM's Data Register looks fine until you edit one of the dates (double click on a date). You will see quotes like, 290.730011 or 296.359985 for the open, high, low, and closing pricing fields. Yahoo Historical pricing server has been this way for a long time. Why Yahoo created their own pricing data who knows. As far as I can tell NYSE and NASDAQ only gives quotes out to 4 decimal places. So perhaps FM could round the pricing fields from the Yahoo Historical pricing server to 4 decimal places?
Bobo

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:19 pm

Hi Bobo,

Yes I see this too, Yahoo (Historical) seems to report pricing out to 6 digits past the decimal point. As you can tell, FM currently does not round anything before importing, it just imports the data as provided by the quote server. Yes, it would be possible to round before importing. It would probably be best if the user was given the option.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Bobo » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:56 pm

Mark, if you work with someone at Yahoo to import stock quotes into FM, perhaps you can ask Yahoo why they are making up their own stock quotes out of thin air? I'm pretty sure they are not getting 6 decimals quotes from NYSE or NASDAQ.
Bobo

Return to Feedback