Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Margin Interest

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby chris319 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:59 am

It is a new year and I need to do the simplest thing which is worth thousands of dollars in tax consequences: I need to total margin interest paid in 2021.

I cannot seem to find a way to do this.

I need to confine the report date range to "last year", 1/1/2021 to 12/31/2021. I account for margin interest as a separate ticker symbol so this should be easy to do. When I try to set up a custom report for "last year" and organize the report by "Symbol", my ticker symbol for margin interest is nowhere to be found.

This is the second instance where Fund Manager has failed to do what I need it to do and I've had to resort to a workaround using Excel. It makes me wonder why I'm running Fund Manager if I'm having to use Excel to accomplish essential functions.
chris319

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:54 am

Hi chris319,

By "organize by Symbol", do you mean you have "Subtotal by:" set to "Symbol"? If you aren't seeing your symbol, ensure that:

1) You are running your report at a level of sub-portfolio that includes your investment with this symbol

2) Turn on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios"

If the problem is #2 (which I'm guessing it is), then you have either hidden that investment, or you have on the option to not show items with a zero balance in your reports. To look at these settings, from within a report window, choose "Options / Report Preferences... / General / Investment Display / Do Not Show Investments with Zero Share Balance" and choose the desired option. Press "Help" in this dialog for an explanation of each of the 3 options. No matter which you choose, if you turn on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios" this will always show everything.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback