Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Margin, Shorting, Exposure, Gui.

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby FolkeLJ » Sun May 10, 2020 12:12 pm

Hi Mark,

I've been using this software a couple of days now and am thus far very happy with it. I spent significant time trying to find the best software for comprehensively tracking my portfolio - this takes the cake.

The largest issue for me is that PM does not support margin, leverage, derivatives, shorting etc. The fact that the software has no built-in method of dealing with these things makes it necessary to hop through extra hoops to get to an imperfect approximation of what I want.

Relatedly, I find it important to differentiate between the value of an investment, gross exposure, and net exposure.

These are, in my view, essential features to portfolio management and the absence of them drives me to switch to another software. And I would if I a viable alternative existed. I'm staying not because FM is so great but because everything else is so bad.

Would also be nice if GUI was updated to something more modern :).

Appreciate the active customer support.
FolkeLJ

Postby Mark » Sun May 10, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi FolkeLJ,

Okay, thanks for the ideas/feedback.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Wed May 13, 2020 10:57 am

I trade CFDs (swing trading on indices, forex and commodities). To follow the performance of my trading account in FM, I've created a subportfolio with only one investment, cash type. The value of this investment represents the total amount of my trading account. When I deposit or withdraw money on/from my trading account, I record a buy or a sell transaction in the FM investment. And each week, on monday morning, I record a distribution transaction for the profit or loss I made the past week.

This works OK for me, and I don't need more. Even if FM were implement margin / leverage, I can't imagine having to enter and maintain all the contracts I trade and their conditions and all my trades. It would be a HUGE work, as I'm an active trader. So a data feed from the broker's API would be necessary. But even with that I don't really see the benefits. FM is an EOD portfolio management program, not a trading data analytics tool. When we look a these tools currently available (to name a few: MyFXBook, FX Blue, Tradervue), they are not so convincing and are limited, because again of the data feed issue, and because of the complexity of the derivatives universe and all the multiple ways to approach them. In fact, the plateform provided by the broker is often the best tool to use, with Excel or some other custom tools to analyse trades if needed. IMO.
Djobydjoba

Return to Feedback