Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

FM 2020 beta feedback

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Djobydjoba » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:40 am

Great! :D

1)
Added Investment Type (Investment_type) and Currency (Currency_N_D) as available fields when creating user-defined Custom report fields. See online help for details on how to use these fields.

I haven't played with that yet, but I read the help and have a question.

Investment_type: This field will return a number corresponding to the assigned investment type:

But how to know the number to use when we have changed, in the Investment Type Options dialog, the label of some of the Investment type, and changed their order (with Move Up, Move Down)?

2) Not related to FM 2020, but an old behavior:

If we open a Portfolio graph window, for example a Porfolio Value graph, then we go to another window, and then go back to the Portfolio graph window, the graph is always relaculated / repainted, and this can take seconds. So leaving a Portfolio graph window open always slow the process of cycling through the windows (for example with F7). All the investment graphs and reports don't recalculate when they catch the focus, they are displayed immediately, but not the portfolio graphs. Is this by design?
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:09 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

1) The number returned for Investment_type in a user-defined equation is based off the original label. It doesn't matter if you've changed the label or display order.

2) Some graphs are slower than others. The Portfolio Value graph calculates as it plots. Some graphs that take a long time to calculate have their data stored in memory and can plot much faster, unless some setting changes that forces a re-calculation of the data. The investment based graphs generally also calculate as they plot, but they are much faster in their calculation usually, so you probably don't even notice this. If your portfolio has multiple currencies, you can turn on the option to "Allow Fast Exchange Rate Interpolation" which will significantly speed up the calculation time in many cases. See the online help for an explanation of this option, and possible drawbacks.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:39 pm

Thanks Mark for the answers.

Mark wrote:you can turn on the option to "Allow Fast Exchange Rate Interpolation" which will significantly speed up the calculation time in many cases

Indeed that is way faster! Great job!

New shortcut F12 to open a new graph window: it works from a graph window, but not from the Porfolio Editor or a report window. However the command New Window is available too from the Porfolio Editor or a report (menu Graphs > New Window), but F12 is not associated in this situation. By design?
Last edited by Djobydjoba on Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Djobydjoba

Postby Djobydjoba » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:22 pm

Not new to FM 2020:

File > Import > Generic, select the File to import, then write the Input Format string. You try to write it carefully, but make a mistake. You click Import.

Message : The specified input format did not match any lines in the imported file
Then

Then... the Import window close abruptly. :o

The Import window should stay open to let the user make the necessary changes on the Input Format string.
To nitpick: are two message boxes necessary? Maybe the first could be sufficient?
Djobydjoba

Postby aviator » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:50 am

Hi Mark,

Discovered a bug in the Collapse All feature. Using FM2020beta2.

Hope you can duplicate by:
1) Open a portfolio with subs 4 level deep.
2) Collapse All on level 4. Things work as expected.
3) Go to level 1, the topmost parent, and perform a Collapse All.
4) Right side of Portfolio Editor displays subs correctly, but nothing collapses.

Thanks.
aviator

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:30 am

Djobydjoba wrote:New shortcut F12 to open a new graph window: it works from a graph window, but not from the Porfolio Editor or a report window. However the command New Window is available too from the Porfolio Editor or a report (menu Graphs > New Window), but F12 is not associated in this situation. By design?

That wasn't by design. We'll get this fixed, thanks for pointing it out.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:45 am

Hi aviator,

aviator wrote:Discovered a bug in the Collapse All feature. Using FM2020beta2.

Hope you can duplicate by:
1) Open a portfolio with subs 4 level deep.
2) Collapse All on level 4. Things work as expected.
3) Go to level 1, the topmost parent, and perform a Collapse All.
4) Right side of Portfolio Editor displays subs correctly, but nothing collapses.

I'm somehow not able to reproduce this... If you go to level 4 in this case, there should be no "Collapse All" available, as that is the bottom already? I tested it using 5 levels deep, collapsing the 4th level, and then the top level.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:56 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Djobydjoba wrote:Not new to FM 2020:

File > Import > Generic, select the File to import, then write the Input Format string. You try to write it carefully, but make a mistake. You click Import.

Message : The specified input format did not match any lines in the imported file
Then

Then... the Import window close abruptly. :o

The Import window should stay open to let the user make the necessary changes on the Input Format string.
To nitpick: are two message boxes necessary? Maybe the first could be sufficient?

Okay, understood, thanks for the feedback. As you've probably seen, your last entered format string will be shown by default the next time you come back into this dialog.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aviator » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:02 pm

Mark wrote:If you go to level 4 in this case, there should be no "Collapse All" available, as that is the bottom already?

I started documenting my experience but realized I might have misunderstood how Collapse All works.

I have 2 subs at level 2, let's call them A and B. A and B each have 3 levels below them and all 6 have been expanded. If I Collapse All on sub A, only the subs of A are collapsed -- the subs of B remain expanded. I believe this is how it works today?

My assumption, obviously incorrect, was that Collapse All collapsed *all* subs below that level, including those of sub B in my example above since it lies below sub A in the hierarchy. Today, the subs in B are untouched (i.e. they are left expanded). But I see why your way makes sense.

BTW, very minor nit to pick, when I Collapse All at level 1, the subs that now appear on the right hand side (thanks to beta 2) are inverted. For example, the tree on the left side shows A and B, with A appearing above B. After Collapse All, the subs on the right side show B over A.
aviator

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi aviator,

If you have something like:

Code: Select all
- Master
  - Sub A
    - Acct X
    - Acct Y
  - Sub B
    - Acct V
    - Acct W

When you collapse on "Sub A" it will collapse everything within Sub A, meaning Acct X and Y. Just because Sub B is listed below Sub A doesn't mean that Sub B is inside Sub A. I think this is the point of confusion? Sub A and B are at the same level in the hierarchy (they are siblings), Sub B is not a child of Sub A. Only children (not siblings) of the selected sub are affected by a collapse/expand.

The left side of the Portfolio Editor is a tree view, and all subs are listed alphabetically within their level of hierarchy. The right side of the Portfolio Editor is a list view, and any items in the list view are sorted by one of your displayed columns. It may not be listing alphabetically in the list view. I suspect that is why you're seeing them listed in a different way. The list view column controlling the sort order is colored differently, and has a sort arrow. You can change the list view column controlling the sort order by clicking on that column header. Click again to toggle ascending/descending. If you sort the list by ascending Name, it will match the order of the tree view on the left.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aviator » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:33 pm

Mark, thanks. Everything in your post is spot on -- the confusion was entirely mine. Your explanation is exactly how it *should* work. Ditto for sorting in the list view.

While I have your attention, feedback on FM2020: It rocks. Seriously, it's now at a whole new level of functionality. To say that it makes my life easier would be an understatement. As I read through the features list, much if not all seems to have come right here, these forums. If so, thank you. Thanks for listening and thanks for acting. I really don't know how I could manage this very important part of my life without FM. (I still don't think you charge enough.)
aviator

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:04 pm

Hi aviator,

Appreciate the nice comments on FM 2020. Yes, the vast majority of the changes come from feedback we receive from users. I appreciate the time everyone takes in submitting ideas/feedback. We can't always implement all the good ideas, but we do try to as much as possible.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:33 am

Hi Mark,

The size and position of the Preview Importing Transaction, Position, Reconcile, and Bulk Reconcile wizard dialogs is remembered. Each time you open one of these wizards they are initialized to the size/position where you last left them.

Have you considered to remember the size and position of the Find dialog too? Personally I think I would find it useful (I wouldn't be against a bigger result area by default).
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:53 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Yes, that would indeed be good to add...
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:36 am

Mark,

Would find useful a keyboard shortcut to close the current / active window: (graph window, report window and Portfolio Editor window).

The new graph option "Prefer to Open Graphs In New Window" is great, and as we open new windows it would be nice to be able to close them without the mouse.

Sorry for the feedback flooding...
Djobydjoba

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback