Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

FM 2020 beta feedback

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:15 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

There is a keyboard shortcut for this, but it isn't labelled on the menus currently. It is Ctrl+F4 to close any of the Report/Graph/Portfolio Editor windows. This is a standard for closing a child window in an MDI application (which is what FM is). This works now, but we'll also add the shortcut to the top level menus, next to the current Close command.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:17 am

Perfect, thanks.
Djobydjoba

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:00 am

Mark,

There is potentially a side effect with the option "Prefer to Open Graphs In New Window".
Still there is the case where we'll want to change the graph type of the current graph window without opening a new window...

To illustrate, I had a pie chart open, and I wanted to change the pie chart display. So I selected repeatedly some entries in the Graphs > Pie Charts, trying other displays (by sectors, asset types, etc.) in order to find one that would suit my needs.

I realize after that I had open 8 graph windows...

Maybe there could be a way to open graphs in a new window but be able to change the graph type in the current window too...?
Last edited by Djobydjoba on Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Djobydjoba

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:02 pm

Mark,

Following the preceding post,

In my understanding, the purpose of the option "Prefer to Open Graphs In New Window" is mainly to prevent an existing graph to be replaced (when we want to keep untouched some open graphs).

In this situation where we don't want a graph to be replaced:

- if the option is off, we can't use directly the Graphs menu or the context menus (in Portfolio Editor or report, right click an investment or Portfolio > Graph), we have to create a new graph window first. This is not handy, especially with context menus.

- if the option is on, we now can use directly the Graphs menu or the context menus -> handier.

But the side effect of this option currently: we can't change the graph type in the active graph window. A new window is always opened.

So what do you think of changing the behaviour of the option "Prefer to Open Graphs In New Window" as follows:

1) when the active window is the Portfolio Editor or a report

- a graph (initiated from the Graphs menu or a context menu) is open in a new window.

--> the purpose of the option (prevent the replacement of an existing graph while keeping the ability to use Graphs menu or context menus directly) is fulfilled.

2) when the active window is a graph window

- a graph (initiated from the Graphs menu) is open in the active window.

- if the user want to open a graph in a new window, he has to use Graphs > New Window (or F12) first.

--> this is to not open new windows when the user is trying different graph types / wants to change the graph type of the active window. And since the user has currently the control and his attention on that window, the replacement of the graph is here under his control.

So, the "Prefer to Open Graphs In New Window", would be in fact a "From Portfolio Editor or Report, Prefer to Open Graphs In New Window" option.

Just a suggestion... I realize it is probably nit-picking with a not essential option.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:28 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

I agree, that does seem to be a better implementation. We'll see about getting this changed. Thanks for the review/feedback.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:05 am

Hi Mark,

I have a bug with the beta:

1) I open an investment graph (whatever the investment graph type).

2) I change of subportfolio with menu graph > Portfolio.

3) Depending of the subportfolio I select, I can't change the date range of the first investment displayed. Nothing works to change the date range: drop down menu, keyboard shortcuts... It is stuck. To unlock the situation, I have just to scroll down to the next investment (with mouse wheel), and then it works again (and for all the investments in the subportfolio). But If I change of subportfolio again (graph > Portfolio), the bug again.

The problem doesn't occurs for all subportfolios, but only for some, and they are always the same. They are all in the same branch of the hierarchy tree.

It is not a random behavior but repeatable. And of course FM has been restarted several times.

I don't know if you'll be able to reproduce..
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:25 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

If you turn on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios" does this fix the problem?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:32 am

Yes, it fixes the problem (but FYI the first investment in this case become a cash account. Don't know if it it can be related).

In fact I see the issue only occurs in the subportfolios with a cash account, when hidden...
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:54 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

I suspect this has been a bug for a while (including FM 2018). I haven't been able to reproduce it yet, but with this information, I should be able to. I suspect if you turn off "Graphs / Options / Display... / Hide Cash Type Investments on Investment Based Graphs", that will also fix the issue?

To help me reproduce it, are you not able to open "View / Dates...", or it opens, but any changes you make aren't applied?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:01 pm

Mark wrote:I suspect this has been a bug for a while (including FM 2018).

I'm pretty (very) sure it's new to FM 2020. But I can't say between beta1 or beta2 (I hadn't go to these subportfolios recently).

Mark wrote:if you turn off "Graphs / Options / Display... / Hide Cash Type Investments on Investment Based Graphs", that will also fix the issue?

Yes!

Mark wrote:are you not able to open "View / Dates...", or it opens, but any changes you make aren't applied?

I can open the dialog, select a date and click OK, but it does nothing. As when I select with the dropdown menu, or I use a shortcut.
Djobydjoba

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:05 pm

This reminds me of a very old bug! :)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1929&hilit=cash+account+djoby

(the point (1))
Last edited by Djobydjoba on Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:07 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

Thanks, I am able to reproduce this here. I can also reproduce it in FM 2018. If you use "View / Dates..." in this case, you can see in the title bar of that dialog it is changing the dates on the not-displayed top level cash investment, instead of the investment being displayed.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:08 pm

Djobydjoba wrote:This reminds me of a very old bug! :)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1929&hilit=cash+account+djoby

Yes, indeed. Looks like we never fixed that...
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:09 pm

Yes, yes it was fixed! You had fixed it.

But it reminds me of this one.
Djobydjoba

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:12 pm

Mark wrote:Thanks, I am able to reproduce this here.

Ok, great.

Mark wrote:Can also reproduce it in FM 2018.

oh... very strange.. OK... :?
Djobydjoba

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback