Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

FM 2020 beta feedback

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:53 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks very much for this new release of Fund Manager. Great work as usual, FM is stonger than ever! Especially love the Find feature, super powerful. And the seasonnality features are top notch! And all these other improvements that will permit us to be even more efficent with the program, managing our investments.

Here are some various feedback / suggestions / requests

1) set the graph date range to any number of years/month to date (Ctrl/Shift + <number>)
Using Ctrl+number to set date range in year is handy. I will use it a lot. Would be even better if we could enter two figures : 15 years, 20 years.. I often need to look at the big picture.

2) Open graph in new Windows
This option works with the Graph menu, but not in the Portfolio Editor or in reports (when right clicking an investment > Graph). Would it be possible that the option be effective everywhere?

3) Find feature
3a. Would be handy an option to set the root portfolio by default (search in all)

3b. When there are copies of a same investment, the Location column of the Find dialog displays the number of portfolios where the copies are. But its seems we can only access to the first copie from the Find dialog, not the others.

4) In the Reconciliation wizard, added "Copy "Difference"
I had suggested initially this feature, but it seems I can't use it for my needs (not a big deal!), because I manually reconcile, so Statements and Difference columns are empty. I would had just find useful to be able to copy in the clipboard the quantities from the Fund Manager column. But I'm a neewbie in reconciliation process, and use it very basically, so....

5) One little bug that was before the 2020 release, and totally trivial: when, in the report settings dialog, the start date is after the ending date, there is the first warning message box... then a second, strange, (debug?) message box.

6) I don't know if the request I had made here could be "easily" added to the new release: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4688
...for an option to allow "Investment type" to be entered into an IF statement, changing the calculation based on type.

7) There is this old little bug, annoying sometimes: F7 to cycle through windows doesn't work when the mouse cursor is on a line of a report. If one day you could address this...

I have some feedback on seasonnality too, but will post it on a dedicated topic.

Thanks again for the great release, and outstanding program.
Djobydjoba

Postby aviator » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:40 am

Hi Mark,

Posting feedback here because thread subject calls for it.

Regarding the "Collapse All":

a) Wonderful, huge functionality addition for those with deeply nested sub-portfolios.
b) When I collapse all from the highest level of my portfolio, the tree on the left side of the portfolio collapses, as expected. However, the right side of the screen retains details of the last sub-portfolio I was in.
c) In my opinion, after collapsing, the right side of the not display the contents of the last sub-portfolio I was in. Instead, it should display the hierarchy of the sub-portfolios of the collapsed portfolio.

Hope this makes sense. Everything else in FM2020 is fantastic. Now when are you going to add that retail banking module? (Kidding.)
aviator

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:23 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Thanks for the help beta testing, and all your feedback/ideas.

Djobydjoba wrote:1) set the graph date range to any number of years/month to date (Ctrl/Shift + <number>)
Using Ctrl+number to set date range in year is handy. I will use it a lot. Would be even better if we could enter two figures : 15 years, 20 years.. I often need to look at the big picture.

This would be difficult, as keyboard accelerators won't take 2 different keys like that (1 and then 5). It would have to be a more custom solution. In the mean time, you could use the 'x' shortcut which does earliest to date.

Djobydjoba wrote:2) Open graph in new Windows
This option works with the Graph menu, but not in the Portfolio Editor or in reports (when right clicking an investment > Graph). Would it be possible that the option be effective everywhere?

Yes, good catch.

Djobydjoba wrote:3) Find feature
3a. Would be handy an option to set the root portfolio by default (search in all)

3b. When there are copies of a same investment, the Location column of the Find dialog displays the number of portfolios where the copies are. But its seems we can only access to the first copie from the Find dialog, not the others.

3a. Okay, maybe we could add this as an option.
3b. Yes, that is correct. You are really accessing the only investment, as they are all the same investment file here. If you make an edit in an investment that you have in multiple locations, all locations are updated.

Djobydjoba wrote:5) One little bug that was before the 2020 release, and totally trivial: when, in the report settings dialog, the start date is after the ending date, there is the first warning message box... then a second, strange, (debug?) message box.

That 2nd message box is trying to show you which of your 6 dates are out of order. I can see it being confusing when only 1 is enabled.

Djobydjoba wrote:6) I don't know if the request I had made here could be "easily" added to the new release: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4688
...for an option to allow "Investment type" to be entered into an IF statement, changing the calculation based on type.

I'm not sure right off the top of my head, but I'll try to take a look.

Djobydjoba wrote:7) There is this old little bug, annoying sometimes: F7 to cycle through windows doesn't work when the mouse cursor is on a line of a report. If one day you could address this...

Thanks, I see this too. We'll take a look.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:29 am

Hi aviator,

Thanks to you also for all the help/feedback, and testing the beta version.

aviator wrote:Regarding the "Collapse All":

a) Wonderful, huge functionality addition for those with deeply nested sub-portfolios.
b) When I collapse all from the highest level of my portfolio, the tree on the left side of the portfolio collapses, as expected. However, the right side of the screen retains details of the last sub-portfolio I was in.
c) In my opinion, after collapsing, the right side of the not display the contents of the last sub-portfolio I was in. Instead, it should display the hierarchy of the sub-portfolios of the collapsed portfolio.

Thanks, that is a good point, we will try to address it.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:54 am

Hi Mark,

1)
Mark wrote:This would be difficult, as keyboard accelerators won't take 2 different keys like that (1 and then 5). It would have to be a more custom solution. In the mean time, you could use the 'x' shortcut which does earliest to dat

Okay, I understand. It's no big deal.

3b)
Mark wrote:Yes, that is correct. You are really accessing the only investment, as they are all the same investment file here. If you make an edit in an investment that you have in multiple locations, all locations are updated.

There is the situation where we want to access a specific copy to delete it.

6)
Mark wrote:I'm not sure right off the top of my head, but I'll try to take a look.

If this needs more thoughts than that I can wait FM 2022. :) No big deal.
Djobydjoba

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:00 am

Find feature:

1) Menu Edit > "Find Sub-Portfolio..." seems to do nothing? (menu entry from the Portfolio Editor)

2) Crlt+F shortcuts doesn't work from the Data Register dialog (but it seems other shortcuts like Ctrl+X don't work too...). Could be handy to use some shortcuts from this dialog, especially Ctrl+F

3) Fast search with the keyboard: after entering string to search + Enter (to launch the search), would be nice if the focus could go into the Results area, to continue to browse the results and validate with the keyboard. And currently the Results area seems not accessible with the keyboard. Perhaps add a label "Results:" for the area, accessible with Alt+R?

4) When a search (sorry, I am used to talk of "search" and not of "find") is launch from a graph or a report window, and we double click to a search result, we could expect to access the Portfolio Editor window (when it's a Investment or Portfolio search).

Suggestion: maybe change the "Find" command name to "Search"? We perform a search, not a find. And for consistency with all the controls in the command (Search text... Search for...). Sound a little weird for example in the help: "Press the Find button to perform the search".
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:43 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Thanks for the feedback/help.

1) That command simply selects the matching sub-portfolio in the Portfolio Editor tree view. It is still working when I tested it, it just works differently. We contemplated removing that feature now that there is the new Find command, but some people may have become used to this, and prefer this command.

2) Yes, good point. I'm not sure how easy it will be to add such keyboard shortcuts to this dialog, but we will take a look.

3) The results lists isn't very friendly for keyboard control. It is in the tab order, but there is no keyboard shortcut to put the focus there. As soon as you select anything it will be shown in the appropriate window. We could add a keyboard shortcut. My concern is that it won't be very useful, and would take up dialog real-estate. Or, we could make it hidden, but I'm still not sure of the usefulness given how this dialog works now.

4) I understand your point, but "Find" seems to be more standard.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:21 pm

1)
Mark wrote:That command simply selects the matching sub-portfolio in the Portfolio Editor tree view.

Nothing happens for me. No dialog appears, nothing.

3) Sometimes we have to accept to use the mouse I guess... :)

4)
Mark wrote: "Find" seems to be more standard.

Indeed that's right...

The other part of 4) you didn't answer:

When a search (portfolio or investment) is launch from a graph or a report window (maximized), and we double click to one of the result, we could expect to see the Portfolio Editor window bring to the front to see the result. Because currently nothing happens, and it is a bit weird.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

1) Ah, I see what is happening now. That command is only available in the Advisor version, and isn't supposed to be displayed in any other version. That is a bug.

4) I see this now too. Thanks, we'll have to fix this. It seems to work sometimes, but not others...
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:40 pm

Two bugs in Fund Manager found the same day, that is an exceptional day :lol:
Djobydjoba

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:16 pm

set the graph date range to any number of years/month to date (Ctrl/Shift + <number>)

These shortcuts sometimes react fast as usual (like when changing the date range from the drop down menu), but sometimes are slow to be processed (nearly 1 sec, with a CPU spike).
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:56 am

Djobydjoba wrote:
set the graph date range to any number of years/month to date (Ctrl/Shift + <number>)

These shortcuts sometimes react fast as usual (like when changing the date range from the drop down menu), but sometimes are slow to be processed (nearly 1 sec, with a CPU spike).

1) Does it matter what graph type or active sub-portfolio you use?
2) If you turn off "View / Yields", does that affect this issue?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:14 am

I think I understand... It is slowest in the sub-portfolios where there are more investments, because the date range is changed for all the investments in the subportfolio... so with more investments it takes more time.

I was expecting that Ctrl/Shift + <number> change the date range for the topmost investment only... Would it be possible?
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:44 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Djobydjoba wrote:I was expecting that Ctrl/Shift + <number> change the date range for the topmost investment only... Would it be possible?

Yes, we will change this to only affect the top investment when in an investment based graph. This is consistent with how the arrow/home/end keyboard shortcuts work in investment based graphs.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:31 pm

Please see the just released "Beta 2" version to address many of the issues listed here. See the announcement for a list of changes.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Next

Return to Feedback