Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Faster way to create linked sub-portfolios

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby DukeWeston » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:21 am

The method to create a linked sub is a bit tedious if it has to be done multiple times.

It would be much faster if I could select multiple sub-portfolios in the right hand pane and then take an action to create links to all of them.

For example, I have created a "Tax Status" parent, with sub portfolios for Taxable, Tax Deferred and Tax Free. I would like to select all my taxable accounts (in my All Accounts sub) and drop them as links in the new Taxable portfolio. I can't do this currently, because drag/drop will do a move, with no option to create a link instead.

I'm not sure of the best way to present this to a user. Perhaps least intrusive (and least coding) would be a system wide option to allow drag/drop to operate as link creation. Another option (more intuitive perhaps but more coding) would be a right-click option on the selected portfolios to allow the user to browse to the target where all the links will be created. Or perhaps just use the existing Copy option, combined with a new "Paste as linked portfolio" option.

Most intrusive would be a dialog when a drag/drop occurs asking the user if they want to move or create a link.
DukeWeston

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:53 am

Hi DukeWeston,

Interesting idea... We could maybe use the "Shift" key for this functionality. Currently when you drag/drop if you hold down no keys, it is a move. If you hold down Ctrl it is a copy. We could make it so if you hold down Shift while doing a drop, it creates a link.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby DukeWeston » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:07 am

Yes, that would work for me.

It wouldn't be visible to a novice user so the documentation / tutorials should draw attention to it.
DukeWeston

Return to Feedback