Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Using Fund Manager even during a price retrieval

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Djobydjoba » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:38 am

Hi Mark,

It would be great to be able to use Fund Manager even during a price retrieval.

A price retrieval takes some time (half an hour in my setup - 1200 investments. Repeated 4 or 5 times a day). And often it's when you want to use it that it's busy...

I guess this is technically challenging. Some commands would still have to be blocked maybe. Perhaps it is not feasible. Anyway, it would be very nice!

Thanks.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:45 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Thanks for the feedback. That would be a nice improvement. You're right that it would be a bit technically difficult.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:59 am

A a side note, the fact that an historical price retrieval is much faster than a current price retrieval is strange to me. There are more prices to retrieve with an historical price retrieval so it should take more time, and in fact it is much faster. I am referring to a complete retrieval (all investments) in both cases.

Why such a speed difference?
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:34 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

Different quote servers work differently, and can have vastly different speeds. For example, Yahoo retrieves 10 current quotes at once, so it is a fast server for current quotes. Some historical servers can get all the historical prices in a single request, so it can be as fast as a single current quote request. If you watch the price retrieve dialog during a retrieve, you can see which servers are taking most of the time in retrieving, and possibly look for alternates that are faster.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:20 pm

Hi Mark,

When I watch the price retrieve dialog during a retrieve, I can see that it is much faster to process all my investments during an historical retrieve than during a current price retrieve. Perhaps 10 times faster.

I agree many (or all) historical prices can be retrieve at a time, but there must still have at least a retrieve request for each investment in both cases, right?

When you say: "Some historical servers can get all the historical prices in a single request, so it can be as fast as a single current quote request", I agree it then could be as fast as a single current quote request, what I don't understand is that it is much faster.

Perhaps I will set up a portfolio to measure this. For example, 100 investments, WSJ quote server set for current price AND historical price retrieve for all investments. I'm quite sure the historical price retrieve (let say 1 month of price) will be processed 10 times faster than the current price retrieve.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:35 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

I just tested the WSJ versus WSJ (Historical), and they were roughly the same speed for me. Are you sure you're not overriding the current quote server for some of your investments, to maybe a different/slower server?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Mark,

I use several quote servers, so indeed the speed can be different from a quote server to another. But I would say that for all the quote servers the historical price retrieve is always faster than the current price retrieve.

I've done the measurement with WSJ and 100 investments.

Results:
WSJ Historical. To retrieve 100 investments (1 month of quotes) : 0:24
WSJ Real time. To retrieve 100 investments : 5:09

So the gap is really huge!

I've always known this behavior as far as I can recall.

I've done a video capture of the measurement, if you want to see it: https://youtu.be/NgLP9Lo-kgw

Any thoughts?
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

Yes, I see the same thing. The WSJ (Real-Time) is significantly slower than the WSJ and WSJ (Historical) servers. The plain and historical servers are both the same speed. If you're looking for intraday prices you'll have to use the WSJ (Real-Time) server, or switch to a faster server, like Yahoo. The plain Yahoo server is very fast, and offers intraday prices. The plain Yahoo server is probably the fastest of all servers, as it retrieves 10 quotes per request.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:53 pm

Mark wrote:The WSJ (Real-Time) is significantly slower than the WSJ and WSJ (Historical) servers.

Just for my understanding, could you elaborate on why it is slower? Is that because with WSJ and WSJ (Historical) several symbols can be queried at a time, and with WSJ (Real-Time) only one symbol at a time?
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

All WSJ servers request one symbol at a time, it is simply that the requested data in the case of the Real-Time server request takes longer for the server to return.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback