Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

new feature

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby glenm » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:23 pm

A useful feature for future releases would be the capability to display currency capital gains of a cash account when the currency of the cash account is not the same as the default currency of the portfolio. The currency capital gains in the default currency would be displayed in the view exchange rate adjusted mode and would be zero without exchange rate adjustment.

At the present time I use a stock investment with a fixed share price of one dollar to track currency capital gains, but must manually enter all transaction that result in a change of cash. If a cash account could be used for this purpose the transactions would be recorded automatically.

Is this a possibility?

Thanks,

glenm
glenm

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:14 am

Hi glenm,

I believe you can do what you're describing already. For example, if you have your default currency set to USD and you have a cash account in CAD, when you turn on "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted", the CAD cash account will be displayed in USD amounts, including gains, etc...
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby glenm » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:34 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I have a cash account in USD and the portfolio default currency is CAD. The view exchange rate adjusted will show all transactions in canadian dollars based on the exchange rates at the time of the transaction, but I have not been successful in displaying CAD capital gains or losses that result from changes in exchange rates.

When I do a capital gains report the cash account does not appear in the list of investments. I have tried editing the investment properties of the cash account to change it to a stock, but have had no success in displaying capital gains.

If I deposit 1000 USD in a USD cash account when the CAD/USD =1 and then withdram that same 1000 USD when the CAD/USD =.8 I have realized a capital gain of $125. With multiple deposits and withdrawls tracking this can be time consuming.

Any suggestions you can offer as to how I can generate a capital gains would be greatly appreciated.
glenm

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:06 pm

Hi glenm,

Please see "Options / Report Preferences... / Capital Gains" and turn off the options to exclude cash and default cash account investments.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby glenm » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:15 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your help, I have the report I was looking for. I should have realized that this would be available, the flexibility offered by Fund Manager is very impressive.

Glen.
glenm

Return to Feedback