Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Investment graphs: navigation efficiency

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Djobydjoba » Thu May 10, 2018 10:38 am

Hi,

I use extensively Fund Manager to monitor/analyze the markets, with many indexes, currencies, relative strengths and other indicators organized in several sub-portfolios. My daily tool to analyze the markets is the MA Overlay share price graph type. Each day, I look at many investments in order to find trading ideas. In Fund Manager, I spend my time browsing these graphs in no particular order, following the ideas I can have.

I am very happy with the way the investment stack works, but I end up finding a bit laborious the way to navigate through investments with the Investments > Select menu. This works very well, but it would be great to have a command to jump very quickly to any investment we can think of.

Quick jump command: with a keyboard shortcut we could call a search field and then enter a string. The field would return, as a drop down list, the matching investment names or investment symbols of the stack that contain this string, with the additional info of the parent portfolio. We could then just select the desired investment in this list to bring this investment to the top of the stack.

For example, if I have the idea to find something related to gold. The "quick select" command would be called with a keyboard shortcut, then enter the first letters "gol" and dynamically (even without having to press enter) a list like that would be returned:

20180510-jeu.19h25-01.png
20180510-jeu.19h25-01.png (5.68 KiB) Viewed 1500 times

Just with a mouse click or an enter key press on an entry of this list the desired investment would be displayed to the top of the stack.
Personally, I like commands that allow to do things very quickly with the keyboard.

Another feedback is that I find that the right click menu in the investment based graphs could be re-organized to have more useful commands in it related to graphs (navigation and graphs options), and less related to transactions:

- I would find handy to have the Sort by, Select, Invert stack and Revert order commands in this right click menu. And preferably at the top of the menu, for quick access.

- This menu could allow to select quickly predefined (or better: custom) date ranges too. (gathered in a parent entry of the menu).

- All the list of transactions in this right click menu (Buy/sell, transfer, split, distribution etc, etc..) could be gathered in a parent entry of this menu ("Transactions"). Currently this list of transactions takes a lot of space in this menu, and many are seldom used (and often these transactions are done from the Portfolio Editor).

The ideas / suggestions above in order to improvement the efficiency of the navigation in investment graphs.

Thanks.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Thu May 10, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

Thanks very much for the ideas/feedback. I do agree these would be good improvements. I especially like the quick "Go To" popup command.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback