Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Price download leaves files in a corrupt state

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby tymieniecki » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:51 am

Interesting problem
I run Edit - Internet retrieve - Prices, (Quote Module 530, transaction module 234)
I select one of my investments and delete some old price activity, when I attempt to save the file the process fails with the error message - Access Is Denied followed by a Dialog pane with the file name and a Continue Saving Yes/No dialog.
I select No
I check the file and it is NOT Read only.

I have tried running this both as a normal user and as the administrator with the same result.

Any Ideas ?
tymieniecki

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:40 am

Hi tymieniecki,

I suspect this is not because of the price retrieve, but rather the file has permissions set such that you can't write it. You can test this by making another change, like editing the investment name slightly, and then trying to save.

Either fix the permissions (Security tab in file properties), or you can re-save it to a new file. If it is just one investment, use "File / Save Investment As..." from within the Portfolio Editor. If it is all your investment files you can use "File / File Operations / Set Data Location..." and choose a brand new folder, and FM will copy all your investments to this new folder, and the permissions should be set properly from the copy.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby tymieniecki » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:14 am

INteresting, I did try to make a small change, in each case deleting an old price change and each time got the same. IN fact whenever I make ANY changes FM cannot close down due to a permissions issue. This is a very recent occurrence after the last Windows 10 patch hmmm.
tymieniecki

Postby tymieniecki » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:26 am

Did further investigation, and in the permissions for the files I notice that I have three 'mysterious' accounts:
pljkhjgj
Account Unknown (S-1-5-21-33 ....)
and two others as above.
User and Admin accounts permit read/write//modify access
tymieniecki

Postby tymieniecki » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:52 am

Hi Folks,

tried you second solution and found that in my data folder I had two copies of each file named
investmentname and investmentname_1.

The program was using investmentname_1 , so I carried out a save as investmentname for each file and all works as it should . Am deleting the _1 as I go along.

As this is the culmination of some 10 years fo data there are quite a few files :cry:
tymieniecki

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:34 am

Hi tymieniecki,

Glad you found a solution to work.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby tymieniecki » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:39 pm

I have done some more digging as I still get the investment_1 files appearing and failure to save.
I have noticed that this occurs on files that reach some 50K in size, and then an _1 version appears. This the software cannot seem to handle. Any ideas folks.
tymieniecki

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:42 am

Hi tymieniecki,

The *_1 filename happens if you create a new investment, and the default filename already exists. FM will start adding numbers to the end to get a unique filename. If you're getting an Access Denied message, then here are some possible reasons:

1) The file is marked read-only

2) The security permissions are set such that the current user running Fund Manager doesn't have permission to write

3) The file is in use by another application

I don't think the filesize is related to this issue. Is this a problem you can reproduce? If so, please give us a call, and maybe we can take a look in a quick web meeting.

Another option to help fix the problem could be to create a new folder somewhere, like in your "My Documents" folder called "Fund Manager New Data", and then from within Fund Manager using "File / File Operations / Set Data Location..." and browse to this new "Fund Manager New Data" folder. FM will copy all your data and start using it from this new location. That might fix whatever issue you have going on.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback