Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Realized gains

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Mary Kennedy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:58 am

I think I want to offer a suggestion for a future upgrade, but it is possible you already have this feature and I just can't find it. I am trying to generate a report that lists all the things I have SOLD, and then lets me know my gain or loss from the overall transaction. So one helpful feature would be a filter that enables me to look ONLY at sold things. Another would be a more clear Total Return variable, combining price changes with accumulated dividends. If I understand your terminology, %Gain-I is closest to that. Am I right? I was thinking that a new variable called Realized Gain would be the thing, but maybe that is the same as %Gain-I? Also, I would want the end date to vary with the investment, each one measured according to when it was bought AND when it was sold, not just going to the end of the month. Is my thinking right about this?
Mary Kennedy

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:02 am

Hi Mary Kennedy,

You can get the realized gain/loss of all your sold shares in a "Capital Gains" report.

A good measure of total return is "ROI Yield". You can get this in the Portfolio Performance report, or in a ROI Yield report, a Custom report, the Portfolio Editor, etc. It is a commonly available metric, and shows the true time and money weighted performance of any object (investment, portfolio, asset type, etc) you choose to look at.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mary Kennedy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:05 pm

Oh thanks. I missed that when I was searching for reports. In re ROI, I do use that a lot but for this purpose today I just wanted a total gain/loss, not time weighted
Mary Kennedy

Return to Feedback