Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Enhancement to "Rebalance Report"

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby stevetone » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:09 am

I manage investment portfolios for other people using FundManager (which is working out extremely well--thank you!), and each portfolio has its own asset allocation target ("Allocation Target" in the Rebalance Report). I have given the allocation targets the same name as the portfolio name, so it is easier to (manually) match them up prior to generating the Rebalance Report.

It would be much easier if there was a way to assign an "Allocation Target" for each portfolio as a default, perhaps in the portfolio's Properties. For me, this would eliminate the need to even have an option to select it in the Rebalance Report's Report Settings. While this may not be true for everyone, in my mind the Allocation Target is a fixed item related to each portfolio, and should not change unless and until the overall target strategy for the portfolio changes (which should be infrequent). But, that's just my thinking...

It's not a huge deal to assign this manually each time, but it gets progressively more tedious as they number of portfolios one is managing increases.

Thanks for all your great work!

Steve
stevetone

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:24 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback/idea. I do see how this would be very helpful, especially with a lot of sub-portfolios.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby stevetone » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:17 am

Thanks for the attention to this.

One more enhancement, at least from my perspective, would be to store the Allocation Targets in the same file tree as the other data (dat and mm4 files). I keep all of my data on a USB thumb drive, encrypted using TrueCrypt, and transport it from main office to home office as needed.

Having the Allocation Target "portable" would allow me to carry it with the data instead of having to recreate the Allocation Targets on each machine, as well as having them stored on an encrypted drive.

Just curious--where are the targets currently stored? (I'm guessing registry...)

Steve
stevetone

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:30 am

Hi Steve,

Understood, thanks. Yes, these are stored in the registry at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Beiley Software\Fund Manager\CurrentVersion\alloctargets

You could either use 'regedit' to export/import this key, or you can just use "File / Backup..." and "File / Restore..." from within Fund Manager. The backup/restore feature also includes all registry preferences. It makes it easy to transfer everything.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback