Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Suggestions Regardind Graphs & Movong Averages

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Web » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:06 am

I use Fund Manager 2018 Pro & have the following comments:
1. TA Graph seems to show the same values for Exp MA 2 line as Simple MA 2 line as well as the Simple MA in share price graph type. It also appears the BB Simple Middle Band is different than the share price Simple MA.
2. It would be helpful if the TA graph would display that it represents the Price Graph, so the reader would know that it is a Price Graph & not Price + Div Graph.
3. It would be helpful if the Cost Value Graph would allow for actually selecting cost as current or historical rather than having to look at the graph to see what has changed after clicking the option.
4. More consistency of graph names on menus vs graphs
5. Use category headings to more clearly separate standard FM reports from memorized reports
6. Do not reset the "From" date for transaction retrieve when a reconciliation has started but then cancelled without completing.
7. Include the Inv. Name in the Retrieve Hist Div Split Price dialogue box.

Thanks for your response,

Web
Web

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi Web,

1) Do you have full historical prices recorded? Exponential MA puts more weight on recent prices, where Simple weighs all prices equally. If you have varying data over time, the 2 will be different. You can put your cursor over the MA line, and see the actual value in the bottom/right of the status bar.

The TA Graph is slightly different from the moving averages in the share price graph in how it uses data points for MA calculations. The TA Graph uses "periods", and the share price graph uses "weeks". The TA Graph only looks at recorded price points. The share price graph uses a price for every weekday, whether or not one is actually recorded. If it is not recorded, it interpolates a price for that date.

2) Okay.

3) Do you mean by a different graph type from the "Graphs" menu? You can toggle the cost mode between current and historical using the keyboard shortcut "c". The status of the cost mode is displayed in the legend.

4) Could you give me an example?

5) All the built-in reports are listed first, then a separator, and then your memorized reports. Are you suggesting we put them under menus like "Reports / Built-In" and "Reports / Memorized"?

6) The "From" date for a transaction retrieve shouldn't ever change due to reconciling...? It should only change when you actually retrieve transactions.

7) That dialog is not investment specific typically. If you get prompted for settings for a particular quote server, then one or more investments are set to retrieve from that server, and those settings would apply to all investments set to retrieve from that server.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Web » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi Mark,

1. I did not know the TA Graph used days rather than weeks as price graphs do. Maybe some additional description to make it clear what period of time is being selected could be shown as it is for the Moving Average Graphs.

3. When using Menu\Options\Historical Cost an option could be made available to choose Historical or Current rather than just clicking the Historical option.

4. The "Moving Average \ Share Price" Graph option from the menu is displayed as O-NAV on the graph

5. Yes or put a heading above each category on the existing menu. The same concept would apply to Graphs Menu to identify "Portfolio Graphs" from "Investment Graphs".

6. My mistake, I cancelled a "Transaction Retrieve" session without importing the transactions & that caused the "From" date to reset. Then I don't know when the "From" date should be the next time I want to retrieve transactions without checking all investments in that account for the most recent transaction.

Thanks for making this quality product available,

Web
Web

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:00 am

Hi Web,

Thanks, I appreciate the help/feedback. You have some good points.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback