Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Time-saving ideas for investments management

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:52 am

Hi Mark,

I was thinking about the time consuming aspect of maintaining the investments in Fund Manager. Indeed, it is VERY time consuming. Personally, I think I have spent dozens of hours setting, changing, customizing the investments (their properties). With new ideas for doing things (aha moments) come the necessity to change the investments properties and, when we have several hundreds investments, this is a lot of work, a lot of mouse clicks, clicks, clicks... This is the bottleneck of Fund Manager's flexibility. Several nice commands are here to bulk change a property, but they are not always straightforward / relevant to use, in particular when we want to target some specific investments. And several (if not many) properties are not covered by these commands (categories, custom properties, etc..).

IMO, it is lacking the functionality to bulk change the properties of the selected investments: in the Portfolio Editor, selection of the investments we want to change (with Ctrl+click for example) > right click > Properties, to access a dialog where we can set the properties we want to bulk change. The dialog could be very similar to the current Investment Properties dialog, but adapted for multiple selection / bulk change. (In the same way as a music tagging tool, the dialog would permit to apply the same (set of) property(ies) for all the selected investments, or to change (access) quickly a property for each selected investment one at a time).

This implementation to bulk change the properties of selected investments seems so natural / intuitive, it has always surprised me to not find it. This would save us many hours of work and many many clicks.

Moreover, a logical extension of this functionality would be an option to display the investments recursively in the right part of the Portfolio Editor (display all the investments in the selected portfolio AND its sub-portfolios). This option would permit to selection of all the investments we want before doing a bulk change of properties.

Thanks.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:03 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Thanks for the idea. I understand and agree that would be very useful.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:59 am

Hi Mark,

Another suggestion: ability to create several investments (for example up to 10) with the "New Investment from Existing" command, all at once. This would speed up the process of investments creation.
for example, I had to create more than 70 currency investments, to use with the Create Blended Investment command (I wanted to create currency indexes), and only the Name, Symbol and Currency properties had to be changed for each investment, so it would have been cool to create them in bulk).
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:40 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

I could see that being useful, thanks for the idea.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby driedg001 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:38 pm

I might suggest a tabular editing mode while in portfolio editor that would permit a more rapid interface to work through numerous records and make desired changes. A commit button could be added to allow review before changes are applied/saved.

A spreadsheet interface is one that most users are familiar with and coding often straight forward. The additional benefit is to allow copying from the visible page directly into a spreadsheet if subsequent analysis or use is desired... t
driedg001

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:15 am

Hi driedg001,

Thanks for the idea/feedback.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby 4Profits » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:53 am

Mark,
I like the spreadsheet idea for editing and adding investments. You could even have a field for portfolio so you could edit across multiple portfolio's
Jim
4Profits

Return to Feedback